Adam Weller

WIP - Sami influenced gift knives

I saw this earlier today while at work and didn't log in to post my appreciation. So here it is.

Damn you Adam Weller! You successfully made my bucket list longer. That is so flipping cool it's beyond words. 

• Thanks 1

That's really really really Really Really REALLY beautiful!!!

21 hours ago, Joshua States said:

You successfully made my bucket list longer. 

Glad to contribute :P

2 hours ago, JASON VOLKERT said:

really really really Really Really REALLY

I’m not really sure if your really sure about this? Haha :lol: Thanks!

I worked on the second knife for a bit this afternoon, went a little more detailed. I like how it turned out 

6465F7B0-C278-41C8-8F6D-8FD3C3B91660.jpeg

Might get some more time tonight.

Adam

• Like 2

Do you sketch this with a pencil first?

I am also liking this Adam. I studied Tutorials from Michael Almqvist (phenomenal work), and tried of course. It’s tedious, painstaking work. I might say a sealer applied to the porous area like plain old super glue would work if applied evenly. Then carve and later paint. I like your chisel/tool, as I tried a couple of blade ideas to cut the “v” and make the grooves. This would handle better.

Gary LT

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

Do you sketch this with a pencil first?

Yes, I sketch it first then engrave. I’m taking pictures of my process, so I will post when I get it assembled.

27 minutes ago, Gary LT said:

It’s tedious, painstaking work. I might say a sealer applied to the porous area like plain old super glue would work if applied evenly. Then carve and later paint. 

It is fairly tedious, but that seems to be a part I enjoy. 

This is actually after I filled it with thin CA glue... didn’t work as well as I hoped.

The key with the skew chisel is sharpness. I hone and strop constantly. I also keep the edge geometry with a fairly high angle because it’s gotta hold an edge through pretty tough stuff.

Edited by Adam Weller

Thanks Adam, I certainly need to practice more patient. I’ll need to start with a better chisel for sure, so I have some O1 and some W2 that may work well enough. Keep you posted!

thanks, Gary LT

All components and design work together for three outstanding knives giving life to your vision. Natural materials will hand you surprises from time to time, but each one is a learning experience and many times can be incorporated into the piece.

Figured I better check in. 

We packed up for spring break and headed south. 

We left 8 foot berms of snow 

B8883598-3E64-4B2E-B35C-E0F9BB62B0CC.jpeg

And decided to take on Moab, 2 wheels and 20-40 miles at a time. Now my butt is sore and my hands are shredded, but the 50 degree weather is awesome.

93C006A1-C342-41F7-8B1F-6E17AF21E7B7.jpeg

No knife work for a bit. 

See y’all on the flip side.

Adam

• Like 1

Moab!  beautiful place.  enjoy!

You drove all the way to Moab and aren't going rock climbing? Sacrilege.

Posted (edited)

Back from spring break. The kids had fun and no bones were broken...

On 3/29/2019 at 11:15 AM, Joshua States said:

You drove all the way to Moab and aren't going rock climbing? Sacrilege.

I guess I prefer going the opposite direction, downhill... Really fast :D 

On 3/26/2019 at 3:28 PM, Neil Young said:

Moab!  beautiful place.  enjoy!

Definitely a beautiful place!

IMG_6144.JPG

Back to business... Got some time to engrave tonight, so I started taking pictures.

Caveat time... These pictures are really close up, I look back at them and the lines look horrible. Understand that this is magnified, and at normal working distance/ holding it in your hand, everything looks better :)

I start by drawing what I want to engrave. I'm going more geometric on this design, we will see how it turns out. For straight lines on a curved surface I like to use tape, I have found electrical tape has super sharp and straight edges and can make complex curves given the round surface of the knife handle.

IMG_6148.JPG

Using a mechanical pencil I can get a precise line:

IMG_6149.JPG

I finish the outline

IMG_6150.JPG

Since this is smooth surface, this will wipe off very easily so I use an art fixative.

IMG_6151.JPG

Then it is time to engrave.

I use a sharp skew chisel I made about a year ago. I have had difficulty recreating this thing, but I have modified it several times so that it fits my fingers as I hold it. Currently, I have it wrapped in Kirlex medical tape which cushions the handle and improves grip.

The right hand guides the direction like a pencil, the left hand provides the power behind the edge.

IMG_6155.JPG

The whole concept is you are making a "V" shaped grove. You cut one side and you get a raised edge.

IMG_6158.JPG

Then switch directions and cut the other side. I have found if I'm doing it right I get a thin curly shaving that comes out of the groove and resulting V groove.

Then I began the border design. I'm just kinda making this up as I go at this point. Another thing I started using was this measuring tape, it is awesome for laying out a design.

IMG_6160.JPG

I cut each line in one direction

IMG_6161.JPG

Then work the other way until the lines are cut. 

For a triangle cut I use a different, tiny chisel and make all the cuts in one direction (which I think helps maintain consistency).

IMG_6163.JPG

Then I switch directions and make the same cuts in the other direction and try to clean it up as much as I can. This is kinda like chip carving.

IMG_6165.JPG

Alright, I'm finished up for the night. I realize this is taking forever, but I have pretty limited time each night, so that's how I roll.

The best part is the reveal, so I gotta finish up with a shot after I rub pigment (I use artist oil paints) into the groove.

IMG_6166.JPG

There you go. Hope that helps someone. 

Adam

Edited by Adam Weller
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Great technique. Thanks for the detailed photos and explanation. Awesome work.

7 hours ago, Adam Weller said:

These pictures are really close up, I look back at them and the lines look horrible.

You are smokin' crack. These look fine. I think you have captured the essence of the design and culture. Almost like you are channeling another person.

• Haha 1

Evenings update.

Finished up the border. Next I need to figure out how to fill it all in...

I feel like the lines are getting more precise.

IMG_6171.JPG

I think the design is coming along nicely.

That's all folks!

• Like 2

I think that looks great just like that.

Sometimes, less is more.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Joshua States said:

I think that looks great just like that.

Sometimes, less is more.

I kinda agree, though I think the circle needs alittle something....

i originally was going to do a basket weave pattern in there like the top right test carving in this old picture 

C21FF666-6077-47B9-84F8-25A1548B7565.jpeg

but I think that would be too much.

I’ll keep thinking about it. Thanks for the input!

Edited by Adam Weller
  • Like 1

Man those are cool.

• Thanks 1

On 4/2/2019 at 10:27 PM, Adam Weller said:

The best part is the reveal, so I gotta finish up with a shot after I rub pigment (I use artist oil paints) into the groove.

My experience with oil is that it takes days to cure. Do you have any problems with bleed out?

7 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Man those are cool.

Thanks! Lets just say I spent alot of time practicing before I would allow myself to start working on a knife... Here's some more of my practice pieces. Just trying different designs.

IMG_4742.JPG

10 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

My experience with oil is that it takes days to cure. Do you have any problems with bleed out?

I wondered about that in the beginning as well, but it was what most used.

I just went and took a picture of my knife from last year. It's been a year and I don't appreciate any bleeding of the oils into the antler.

IMG_6179.jpg

• Like 1

@Adam Weller All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Adam Weller said:

Here's some more of my practice pieces.

I don't like you any more! I showed my wife these and she nearly fell off the chair.

Have you ever considered making pendants out of these? or napkin rings maybe? Then you could use the lager pieces and remove the pith.

Edited by Joshua States

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

Have you ever considered making pendants out of these?

5B57ACCB-CE71-40B0-A7CE-0D18BDE286CF.jpeg

I made this for my wife. That’s why she lets me do this kind of stuff :D

Actually I’ve seen napkin ring looking things, belt decorations, buttons made this way for traditional Sami clothes. 

Edited by Adam Weller
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Sometimes, less is more.

Well I hope I didn’t cross the line but I didn’t like the single line... so this is what I came up with. I like how it turned out, and I’m calling it done.

6ADC778F-2020-4721-83BD-83311F156919.jpeg

Sheath engraving is up next.

Oh, and I realized I may have answered the question about bleeding paint wrong. Yes, if you pick up the knife and hold it you can get black paint on your hands for about the first week. When all is said and done, I do the final paint rub and then I set the thing on the mantle for awhile... couple weeks even, no problems after that. 

Adam

Edited by Adam Weller
  • Like 2

Very nice.