WIP - Sami influenced gift knives

Posted (edited)

Tonight's progress. 

85F25E2C-E464-4398-B919-4F9229713818.jpeg

Stretched my eyes a bit...

Adam

Edited by Adam Weller
  • Like 4

Still making progress. A couple more things to do then on to leather. 

I went completely off track with the third, didn’t follow my original plan, and went with a geometric design that is kinda more traditional. 

The first sheath still bugs me, probably gonna get changed. 

C4AB2F58-CFD9-4B6B-930A-AEBFF25A2874.jpeg

Since this is a WIP after all:

3D77B906-A0EB-4366-93E1-C855DE2B9446.jpeg

I will keep you posted, things are moving pretty slow these days, only a few minutes per night to spare.

• Like 5

That is pro-level work!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

That is pro-level work!

And then some! Adam, this is just spectacular. I don't know which one I like best.

10 hours ago, Adam Weller said:

I went completely off track with the third, didn’t follow my original plan,

That's because this project gave you enough experience points to gain a new level! (a little D&D humor)

10 hours ago, Adam Weller said:

The first sheath still bugs me, probably gonna get changed.

I can see how you would think that, considering the other two look very...…. different.

I think it was Wes Detrick who said something like "I decided to never let anything out of my shop that was "good enough" ever again."

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Joshua States said:

And then some! Adam, this is just spectacular. I don't know which one I like best.

That's because this project gave you enough experience points to gain a new level! (a little D&D humor)

I can see how you would think that, considering the other two look very...…. different.

I think it was Wes Detrick who said something like "I decided to never let anything out of my shop that was "good enough" ever again."

Thanks! 

Its amazing to me how I learn with each knife still, and it’s pretty easy to see the progression with these three. I think I got enough D&D experience points to jump a level with each knife. Definitely got + points in confidence and speed categories. 

Regarding the first sheath looking “different” - The inlay really didn’t have the integrity to show detail, I knew I wasn’t going to like it when I started, and I kept it simple because the material wouldn’t hold up to that level of detail. I agree it clearly looks “different”

In that respect I did start on a new sheath yesterday - I’m pretty excited about it, I like it much better already.

Here we go

25F60338-DFC3-4274-9F51-2B649DF1B7B1.jpeg

I cut lengthwise.

22F0A22A-3CC5-4090-BFB9-0705D24D54CA.jpeg

Mark and use a rotary tool to create the cavity.

A7248F28-67F0-457A-8A61-9FFAFBE32EF2.jpeg

704E752B-C84D-424C-A318-86A7BFE29EB5.jpeg

Looks good and the blade fits!

711230EA-7976-433D-992B-62C774021F83.jpeg

Glue.

A1C99385-D9DA-47CD-9C4B-7549218FD09E.jpeg

And I’m thinking this is gonna be way better.

C95B107D-D8B8-46F5-AE94-42E83BC4B1ED.jpeg

I need to pin the sides still then do final shaping and sanding.

Now my problem is coming up with what to engrave on there and making it match the handle.

Adam

Edited by Adam Weller
  • Like 3

Looking forward to seeing the finished product

• Like 1

What he said ^^^

• Like 1

You're killin' it dude.

• Thanks 1

top shelf work there!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks guys!

got a little more work over the last couple nights, but I figured I’d kinda bundle the pics so I wasn’t spamming the forum.

Experiment time. I need to reinforce the distal sheath, typically this was done with rivets/pins. I saw it done a different way on Instagram and I liked it so I’m going to try it.

first I drilled the holes.

B08613BF-F61B-4A2A-B161-0F2EC145C507.jpeg

then I used a tiny little tap to tap the holes.

EAABD55E-74D5-40A9-B3FF-83559431D405.jpeg

this left pretty little threads in there, see:

375A14F0-C2C4-4AA8-A0BE-FED82CAB7C8D.jpeg

dipped some ss screws in some epoxy and threaded them through 

CC4811DE-6B4D-42B2-9D83-51ADC8E767EC.jpeg

let them cure 

148D1F75-C88F-48FC-8E1F-4096EE063247.jpeg

and grind them off

2D172042-9A07-4652-AC0D-DA5C3C8F79C1.jpeg

Seems really solid - back to more engraving.

on a side note - I think the ice on the lake might break up in the next day or two and we are starting to see small patches of bare ground. 

D9F42142-5809-4F14-82E6-D3A697F2EA38.jpeg

Have a good evening!

Edited by Adam Weller
  • Like 5

Is it time for shorts and a tank-top yet?

• Haha 1

Engraved the re-sheath. I like it much better.

8745F5AE-502F-412C-96F6-4CCADFB7A36F.jpeg

and just for kicks, a glamour shot of the triplets (not identical)

5BBB8F3A-62D6-4FDD-8874-706365C8C84F.jpeg

I guess I better get out the leather box.

• Like 6

beautiful!

• Thanks 1

I think you went up another level.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Joshua States said:

I think you went up another level.

+1. B)

• Haha 1

Wow!!!!!!!!!

• Thanks 1

whats the style of that middle sheath? what key words would i google for more info on that style?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Neil Young said:

whats the style of that middle sheath? what key words would i google for more info on that style?

Still the Sami style, actually seems more common to use the antler sheath. The other two I made with wood because I wanted to learn how to inlay better.

a recent post by Aiden has a bunch of old examples:

I can’t claim I’m very authentic, but I love how these look, so I started trying to make them.

Edited by Adam Weller

Posted (edited)

Sorry for the delay. After finding out I was out of leather dye, I had to order some and wait for it to arrive. 

Back to work tonight. This is half tan, so it must be stitched wet. Then you let it dry for 2 days with the knife inside and it shrinks down and hardens providing a tight fit and “click” when the knife is sheathed.

That is - if I did it right. We shall see.

6972E881-2087-460B-9ECD-64571077955D.jpeg

6CB029FB-55B1-431F-AF82-32A661DDCEDD.jpeg

Edited by Adam Weller
  • Like 3

i understand the need for the leather.  seems a shame tho to cover up the engraving.

Spring hit so time is tight. A lot of cleanup from a long winter. Sun stays up later and; therefore, kids stay up later. Shop time goes down...

Got a chance to put some pants on these guys. Tried different things with each one, so they each turned out different. I’ll post some WIP pictures when I get a chance.

F1889209-78EC-43F3-82EA-9D079C1AF8B7.jpeg

7BF4DD9D-1FAE-4EE6-9D4B-F674ED9F25D9.jpeg

• Like 1

Just stellar Adam.

• Thanks 1

I’ve been watching this thread ever since it started,  these knives are awesome!    I keep thinking there done, but more and more keeps happening to them, so they keep getting better and better. Great work! 

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys! 

@Conner Michaux - it doesn't seem like its ever going to be done, but I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Just a few more finishing touches.

Quick Sheath WIP.

The leather is "half tan" both surfaces are finished (basically veg tanned from what I've experienced) but the middle layer is left raw, and thus it works a lot like raw hide. It is hard when you get it, I try to soak it at least overnight and then it becomes workable.

I cut it dry, and only soak what I need. Then I skive the edges to get more of a taper on the ends of the sheath.

IMG_6291.JPG

I then bevel the inside edges and then smooth them over with a burnisher. This gives it much more of a finished look after it's on the knife.

IMG_6292.JPG

IMG_6293.JPG

Dye

IMG_6294.JPG

And then I put them in a bag overnight so the dye can set and I can work on them without developing brown fingers and staining the knife. Others dye them after they are attached to the sheath, but I found I made to much of a mess this way.

IMG_6295.JPG

So all three of the sheaths are dyed with Feibing's Chocolate Pro Dye, but I did different things (non-uniform drying, acetone) as the dye was setting to make the different colors and textures. I was really just experimenting. 

First I wrap the knife in foil and plastic wrap to protect it and also so that the sheath doesn't dry too tight. Then I wrap the leather around the knife and sheath and hold it in place with clamps. Most guys just use an awl and stitch it at this point, but I can't seem to make a staright stitch that way, so I mark it and then drill the holes on my drill press. 

IMG_6299.JPG

IMG_6303.JPG

Then I use an awl and saddle stitch.

IMG_6300.JPG

IMG_6301.JPG

The end of the stitching curls around the lanyard hole. Then I trim and burnish the edge. 

IMG_6313.JPG

I've got to admit, this is the part I'm least satisfied with. I wish my stitching was cleaner... Especially around the corners. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Again, this is how I do it, there are many variations.

• Like 2