Adam Weller

WIP - Sami influenced gift knives

Beautiful work Adam. Perhaps a less contrasting thread would blend with the leather making the slight irregularities in stitching less noticeable?

On 5/12/2019 at 10:26 AM, Adam Weller said:

I wish my stitching was cleaner... Especially around the corners. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

I don't have any suggestion for you but everything looks perfect to me.

On 5/12/2019 at 10:26 AM, Adam Weller said:

I wish my stitching was cleaner... Especially around the corners

Looking at the last picture on page 7, I might have a suggestion or two. 1st, get a stitching groover to make a recessed groove to run your stitching down. This will let the thread lie down a little more even with the surface. 2nd, and you might do this already, but your drill bit needs to be tapered and sized according to the thread you use.  I use a 5/64" drill bit and I taper it to a point by putting it in a cordless drill, run the drill in reverse and hold it at an angle to the 220 grit disc or belt running at medium speed. The pointed drill bit allows more precise location of the holes. After marking the groove with the stitching wheel. I mark each dot with a red pen so I can see the exact spot I need to put the point of the drill into. A smaller hole will make the thread touch each other in the hole and appear as a solid line. I do not widen my stitching holes with an awl. I literally have to grab the harness needle with a small pair of pliers and pull the second one through the hole to complete the stitch. I also tie an overhand before pushing the second needle through This helps fill the hole with thread and lock the stitch tight.

On 5/18/2019 at 8:18 AM, ron horton said:

Beautiful work Adam. Perhaps a less contrasting thread would blend with the leather making the slight irregularities in stitching less noticeable?

Thanks! I have thought about less contrast, and that might be utilized in the future, but I like the look of the contrast and would like to keep that part of it... I'm kinda stubborn in a way that if I want it to look a certain way I keep trying until I figure it out... :rolleyes:

15 hours ago, JASON VOLKERT said:

I don't have any suggestion for you but everything looks perfect to me.

Thanks!

39 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

Looking at the last picture on page 7, I might have a suggestion or two. 1st, get a stitching groover to make a recessed groove to run your stitching down. This will let the thread lie down a little more even with the surface. 2nd, and you might do this already, but your drill bit needs to be tapered and sized according to the thread you use.  I use a 5/64" drill bit and I taper it to a point by putting it in a cordless drill, run the drill in reverse and hold it at an angle to the 220 grit disc or belt running at medium speed. The pointed drill bit allows more precise location of the holes. After marking the groove with the stitching wheel. I mark each dot with a red pen so I can see the exact spot I need to put the point of the drill into. A smaller hole will make the thread touch each other in the hole and appear as a solid line. I do not widen my stitching holes with an awl. I literally have to grab the harness needle with a small pair of pliers and pull the second one through the hole to complete the stitch. I also tie an overhand before pushing the second needle through This helps fill the hole with thread and lock the stitch tight.

Thanks Joshua, these are great suggestions... I have a stitching groover, but I didn't think about it because there isn't an edge to guide it, so I would be grooving blind (sounds like something out of the 70's :D). I like the tapered drill bit idea, I'll give that a try next time. I keep the holes as tight as I can and I have to use a pair of pliers most of the time to get the needle through, I have to use the awl to line the holes up or I can't get the needle through at all... I do use a knot with each stitch.

I think the hardest part of it is you have to stitch half-tan wet, and you have to stitch it on the sheath/knife so that it is tight and forms to the shape. So it isn't like the usual saddle stitch on two flat pieces of leather.

I'm still working on the final little touches, got quite a bit done this weekend, but nothing that I think requires WIP pics... Hopefully I can post the completion pics soon.

Stunning work, beautiful knives........great photos and thanks for sharing!

10 hours ago, Adam Weller said:

I think the hardest part of it is you have to stitch half-tan wet, and you have to stitch it on the sheath/knife so that it is tight and forms to the shape. So it isn't like the usual saddle stitch on two flat pieces of leather.

Having never used half-tan, I can only throw ideas out there. I do have to get some and try it myself.

10 hours ago, Adam Weller said:

I have a stitching groover, but I didn't think about it because there isn't an edge to guide it,

I only use the edge guide on the side I mark the holes out with the stitching wheel. I find that if I groove both sides before drilling, the back side never comes out right. So, I take the groover and freehand the groove on the back side. Sometimes, I can use a straightedge as a guide.

1 hour ago, Joshua States said:

I only use the edge guide on the side I mark the holes out with the stitching wheel. I find that if I groove both sides before drilling, the back side never comes out right. So, I take the groover and freehand the groove on the back side. Sometimes, I can use a straightedge as a guide.

Same here.  And when you think about it, "freehand the groove" would be a great funk band name!  Somebody call George Clinton...

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Same here.  And when you think about it, "freehand the groove" would be a great funk band name!  Somebody call George Clinton...

I actually worked mixing sound for GC & the P-Funk Allstars once.

• Like 3

Some quick iPhone pics to prove it so I can finally say this project is DONE!

Summer gets crazy busy with almost no shop time but I eked out enough time to put on the finishing touches. I think I’ll try to get some good pictures and then these go to the intended recipients.

Without further ado:

E22D9B8F-17CB-440D-9CFB-34F9F39E68D1.jpeg

723D347D-ACB6-471D-9ABB-D848974A0F43.jpeg

84209756-29A7-4F41-A5F9-37A7D62070B1.jpeg

7237F446-88AC-4B07-B680-54F9218E50F6.jpeg

B2AF9922-0265-4498-A117-502075961285.jpeg

5155C357-D5B0-4A36-85B0-88AA45248668.jpeg

Pretty proud of the result. Quite a few things I will tweak on the next go around. Always room for improvement.

Hope you all enjoyed the WIP.

Adam

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Adam. I enjoyed this thread immensely. Lots of great info and the knives turned out superbly.

• Thanks 1

Just had time to check this out before my Wi-Fi time expires. I love the finished product and am very grateful for the WIP

• Thanks 1

Exceptional design and fabrication, Adam.  Well done!

• Thanks 1

Outstanding Adam!!!

• Thanks 1

I don't know if they are really any better, but I tried to take some more pictures of these guys before give them away to document them better in my "portfolio"... this is just me, my iphone, and an improvised light box. I may try to get a photographer friend of mine to take some pictures too.

IMG_6579.JPG

IMG_6564.JPG

IMG_6565.JPG

IMG_6569.JPG

IMG_6570.JPG

IMG_6571_2.png

IMG_6560.JPG

IMG_6562.JPG

Anyway, That is all. Thanks for all the encouraging words. 

Til the next project.

Adam

• Like 3