Hello All! I have been extremely busy and unfortunately it has affected my time in the shop. A good friend who is former LEO has helped me get back into serving my church and has got me back on track with some of my hobbies (fishing, hunting and bladesmithing). I work at a jail and have been slipping down a small rabbit hole of depression, nothing serious but I recognized the signs (apparently my friend did too). I am still scared to death of electricity, so the shop only has lights at this time. A kid my brother knows going to help me wire the shop.

My small victories include making a stand for my forklift tine anvil.  I cut it down to 200 lbs, mounted it in a box filled with sand to help level it and add some weight. The ball bearing test isn't that impressive (especially compared to my 200 lb Fisher) so I need to find a way to harden and polish the face. I will also continue the stand another 5 or 6 layers and add a magnet for sound. It still works pretty well, I hammered a preform real quick and started to work the bevels. I only used the Fisher's horn for drawing the tip (I got J. Neilson's DVD for Christmas).

You'll also see my coffee can forge with a Bernz JTH7 torch.  Unfortunately I made the mistake of adding a leftover piece of insawool to the bottom which negatively effects the swirl and creates a major hot spot.  It still works and should be a sign to any new people that a useable forge is very easy to make. Coffee can, insawool, satanite and torch. My vertical forge is out until I find someone that will fill my 100 lb tank or I buy a new one.

I've been off and on for years. I've also been a member since 2009. I bring this up for two reasons: 1. The beginners section has plenty of info, no matter how long you've been around. Someone always has a question you haven't thought of. 2. No matter what life throws at you, keep pushing forward and do what you love.

PS. Pictures are courtesy of my 7 year old Daughter. The kids love watching, with safety glasses. Please excuse the mess in the background, I'm trying to clear out some stuff.

20190119_170617.jpg

20190119_175528.jpg

20190119_182332.jpg

20190119_180310.jpg

Edited by Rod Hart

I have a 210lb Peter Wright, but every time I see someone make a anvil like that I can't help but think it would be so much more convenient for bladesmithing work than a London pattern anvil.

BTW, I think you must have forgot to upload a pic.  I don't' see the one that has a mess in the background.  That space looks remarkably uncluttered to me :P

Haha! Started to read the last part and was wondering if I forgot something. :lol: Thanks Brian! I'm a fortunate guy for sure, a friend of mine that I hadn't seen since metal shop at my old high school remembered that I was looking for a forklift tine and gave me one. If you were closer I would offer the leftover piece, it's about 100lbs. If I can get more time put in and find some people too meet regularly, I would probably use it as a travel anvil.

Hi Scott, I actually got a big bag of coal from my wife for Christmas. Not sure if I should be sorry or thankful for that one, lol. I planned on giving the rivet forge another try but I need need to either make some bearings to help keep the blower rotating freely or remove the blower and attach a hair dryer. The forge itself is also very shallow and limits what I can do.

Is it a Buffalo Forge blower? I have seen several websites that sell replacement parts for those. I have a fiend with a small rivet forge and hand-crank blower. He can get that pretty dang hot.

Sorry for the delay Scott, had to run some errands and feed the kids lunch. Unfortunately there is no branding to be found. I played with it a while back and got it hot enough to forge with charcoal but it took a lot of work due to the wheel not spinning freely.

Bottom blast forges work much better with coal. Wood charcoal likes a gentle side blast. If your blower doesn't spin freely I would look around for an alternative air source and use the rivet forge for welding. Claying the fire pan with kitty litter clay cost a couple of bucks and a hair dryer puts out enough air to weld with no problem. I like your coffee can forge too but solid fuel will give you another option and keep flux out of your gasser. Also, a bag of coal is a top shelf Christmas present in my book!

Thanks Michael. I intend to do something with the rivet forge eventually. I want to give coal a try and like you said, it'll be another option for different tasks. I believe I read on here somewhere that you don't clay these pots unless it specifically says so in the casting. A good friend found the forge in his barn, along with some OLD files and rasps.

I was actually really happy with the Christmas present. My wife is pretty supportive of my hobbies. She probably would be less so if she saw what a 2X72 is gonna cost eventually, haha.

If you can't get the hand cranked blower repaired you can get a replacement.  Look for a Zomax forge blower or go to the Simon Store which also carries what they call a heavy duty hand cranked forge blower.  No personal experience but I've read good thing about the Zomax.  You can even get it with a wood burning forge.  The one at the Simon Store I don't know anything about.  There's a hand cranked blower for about $35 on Amazon and from what I understand it's worth about $35 and might last through your first blade.

Doug

Edited by Doug Lester