James Higson

Flame-Edge Serpent Seaxes - Finished

Dear All,

These Anglo Saxon inspired seaxes are finally finished for my wedding two months hence! Some of the WIP (before I broke my camera and had to push onwards) is on this thread:

Enjoy! Comments and Criticism gratefully received. I have learnt a heck of a lot on this build, if I were to be making just one I am sure I could have done a much better job of it. However, since there were ten.... yes ten.... with a definite deadline I struggled to spend the extra hundred hours on the sheath required per piece! All in all, I'm happy with them and I'm sure their new owners will be too. A huge amount of thanks must go to Sam Ecroyd, without whom this would not have been possible! 

Cheers,

James

P.S. Sorry about the bits of stuff on the blades, didn't realise there was dust on them until I was editing! 

IMG_2790 (1024x683).jpg

IMG_2792 (1024x683).jpg

IMG_2794 (1024x683).jpg

IMG_2796 (1024x683).jpg

IMG_2799 (1024x683).jpg

IMG_2806 (1024x683).jpg

IMG_2818 (1024x500).jpg

IMG_2831 (1024x588).jpg

IMG_2832 (1024x528).jpg

IMG_2833 (1024x468).jpg

IMG_2834 (1024x499).jpg

IMG_2835 (1024x464).jpg

IMG_2836 (1024x467).jpg

IMG_2837 (1024x461).jpg

IMG_2838 (1024x476).jpg

IMG_2839 (1024x528).jpg

IMG_2840 (1024x448).jpg

IMG_2846 (1024x476).jpg

IMG_2847 (1024x504).jpg

Edited by James Higson
  • Like 7

Love them! What a fantastic wedding party idea. I really dig the pattern welding and the sheaths. The handles look like they might be too round for my liking, but it's difficult to tell. Still, they finished well and the engraved ferrule/bolster thingy looks smashing. 

Cheers Josh!

Sorry, didn't get any top down shots of them! The handles are oval shaped so much thinner than they appear :)

James

Edited by James Higson

Well done!  Quite a cache of seaxes, looks like the ancient kingdom of Mercia (and part of Northumbria) has been reformed in Derbyshire.  B)  Will those be part of the wedding regalia? (he asks hopefully...)

Very cool! Congratulations on the nuptials.

1 hour ago, Alan Longmire said:

Well done!  Quite a cache of seaxes, looks like the ancient kingdom of Mercia (and part of Northumbria) has been reformed in Derbyshire.  B)  Will those be part of the wedding regalia? (he asks hopefully...)

They will absolutely be part of the regalia. We're getting married in a castle and we are allowed to wear the Seaxes until the drinking starts, they then have to go into the armoury! A reasonable request I think :D

• Haha 1

So glad to finally see these finished! Great work James, they've come out really well and I can't wait to get my hands on mine.

Well done gents. That is is just brilliant.

Looks like the eating knives from old tapestries.  Great job.

Doug

Cheers guys, means a lot after so much work!

Fantastic execution of a great idea :)

Congrats and best wishes!

Fantastic pattern welding, leatherworking and photograph  scenery!

I like the idea of knives as wedding party  gifts

Awesome, that is some amazing work! 

When you said you were making ten I thought 'damn he's gone mad!' 

You and Sam pulled off some intense work in creating not just one multi bar pattern welded, bronze cast handle component, tooled leather and rune carved seax, but TEN! I'm seriously in awe, hats off to both of you and I'm again seriously impressed by the work you've done. Taking new and old forms and putting them together the way you guys did is pretty hard to do in a cohesive way, and again you prevailed there!

Alan is generally the one who does this but I personally think theres smoke in the air, do I hear a second?

• Like 1

Wow those are beautiful. That is some impressive work.

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 10:50 AM, James Higson said:

The handles are oval shaped so much thinner than they appear 

Excellent! In that case I'd have to agree with Alan:

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 11:04 AM, Alan Longmire said:

looks like the ancient kingdom of Mercia (and part of Northumbria) has been reformed in Derbyshire. 

Mazel Tov on you and your family. 

Emiliano gives you quite high praise indeed.

Wow, thank you for the kind words and for the nomination Emiliano, I think I speak for sam and I when I say that means more than you know. We owe at least half of the project to your guidance through the tortuous world of leather sheath making!

Thank you Ryan, Jason and Josh, makes those hours in the workshop instead of assisting with wedding planning all worthwhile!

20 hours ago, Emiliano Carrillo said:

Alan is generally the one who does this but I personally think theres smoke in the air, do I hear a second?

Ordinarily the beard goes to more traditional seaxes and sole authorship, but I believe circumstances warrant a second!  Any beard can make the nomination, and since it was Emiliano, whose own work and collaborations are above reproach, I say yes, indeed.  For James, that is, but Sam gets some smoke, of course. B)  Do I hear a third, not that one is needed?