Sign in to follow this  
Richard A. (Woody) Hanson

TMS Bladesmithing Competition

Well the kids, young men and ladies, from the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology finished up their entry for the TMS Bladesmithing Competition Sunday here at my house.  They etched the blade on my Dining Room Table.    All I am sure of is the blade is harder than Chinese Arithmetic.  It is sort of a Middle Eastern Dagger with an ebony handle and pure silver trim.  Sorry I don't have a picture I will get one and post it later.  This little school won the competition two years ago, beat out places like MIT Colorado School of Mines and a bunch of others.  They are trying to duplicate steel from an early era with their crucible steel.  There is some pattern that forms when the steel hardens and in order to keep that pattern whatever it is the steel had to be worked at a pretty cool temp.  I watched them beat on a piece of it for an hour with 2 8 lb hammers and get next to no where.  Thank goodness they had access to a power hammer out at Fire Steel Forge in Piedmont.  Anyway wish them luck, the competition is in San Antonio in March.  I am glad I was able to help in a small way, mostly I just pointed them in the right direction and got out of their way.   There are a couple little cosmetic things that need to be cleaned up on it and they probably have done it by now.  If you look in the dictionary for perfectionist, there is a picture of Aaron, the project leader.  He graduated in December but he is sticking around till March for the competition in Texas before he starts looking for a real job.  He has lived and breathed this project for 2 years.  :D

SDMTknife.jpeg

Edited by Richard A. (Woody) Hanson
add picture

I like the curved double edged dagger look.

Doug

Well my kids didn't win the Bladesmithing contest this year, they did win the award for "Exceptional Use of Materials" I think they threw everything but the kitchen sink into that crucible  I am very proud of them all the same.  They worked long and hard to produce their knife.  As soon as they get back we will start laying plans for 2021 many of the crew will be Seniors then.   Florida took first place, Colorado School of Mines took second  and McMaster took third.  They don't do any further ranking but one of the Professors who was with them and was around during the judging said our kids were in the top ten. 

• Thanks 1