Viking age Anglo-saxon sword. In need of some guidance.

Hello all! More progress. 20191004_142614.jpg20191004_142840.jpg20191004_150635.jpg

I decided it was getting so thin that I'd better grind those grooves that didnt weld instead of pushing them deeper into the bar not knowing how deep they went. A couple of these lines looked kind of dark. I didn't dare etch to see if they turned into bright decarb lines on the off chance they are delams and I would seal the sword's fate by filling the crack with oxides. Instead I pumped a bunch of wd40 into it and I figure I'll run another hot welding pass over them. 

My bar is maybe an inch or so wide before the tip and around 3/16" thick, and it tapers to a quarter or a touch more at its max width of maybe 1 1/2" 

What say ye about that? All good in the hood? I'm thinking about making a guillotine tool with fuller dies. 6" diameter? 

Edited by Zeb Camper
More not "ore"!... seal not deal.
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sanded the other side today. So far I've used 9 sheets of 80 grit paper and fully expect to use the 10th. I'll need to order more.    The weight: 1lb 9.5 oz   And the sax is weighi

... And the build cost for pattern welded steel bought from New Jersey steel baron along with grinding belts, sand paper, and a leather side for the scabbard will be over $500. And I didn't charge mys

Files and paper from here. Got some millscale ground off and a quick etch. The pattern is mostly centered up. 

Posted Images

My last one of those got that far with no problems.  Until I found it had problems.  I had a few short bits of edge bar not sticking, and nothing I did could get them to weld.   :(  Good luck to you, man, and may the demons of delam not find your address! 

• Thanks 1

Thanks!

Yeah, they are just different looking enough to make me uneasy. If it were a seax I wouldnt be so worried. The tip portion of the welds look great though! The lines are in the middle of the sword. :(

I made a fullering tool today. I thought I took a picture, but I guess not. 

I looked at the lines. I think I'm in the clear. I used a flap wheel to grind it. I think sometimes when they get worn out they get down into the soft spots (the spots with a little less carbon). The whole blade has faint lines you can see now. I think that's the wd40 getting rid of the steel dust and giving that added contrast sort of like how clear coat makes paint pop. I may still take another welding heat and go over the whole blade to up my chances of success. The official measure is 30 1/2" long, 1 7/16" wide at the widest tapering to 15/16" before the tip. It is as I said 3/16" at its thinnest to a touch over 1/4" at its thickest. I think I'll come in 3.5" for the tang to hopefully stretch to 7" giving me some wiggle room. That leaves me 27" to try and get a 31+- " blade length. I think I'm gonna have to forge it really close to final shape :mellow:

I've got a little extra money... I'm thinking about an OBM 2x72. I guess I might as well get the 6" contact wheel...

• Like 1

Well I didnt quite get the length or width I was after. I'm about 1 3/4" wide and 29" long. I ran out of gas forging the fuller. It's as thin as I care to make it. 

I guess i need to go find a historical exception to justify finishing this blade. 20191006_141257.jpg

In other news, my new OBM will be on it's way soon! I fell into a pit of self loathing immediately after that purchase. 

Looks good!  There are some smaller Anglo-Saxon swords, or you could always say it's elvish. ;)

Loathe not!  As soon as you use that grinder the first time you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.  

• Thanks 1
On 10/6/2019 at 12:33 PM, Alan Longmire said:

There are some smaller Anglo-Saxon swords, or you could always say it's elvish. ;)

On 10/6/2019 at 2:10 PM, Zeb Camper said:

I found a lil' bitty sword earlier. It wasn't Anglo-Saxon either.

So just change the name of the thread ;)

"The making of Bubba the Elf's side sword"

• Haha 1

:lol: :P I was meaning I found one that was scandanavian around the same size (those I believe tend to be larger), but that's a pretty good idea there! 

At least I learned how not to make one. I have that info recorded above, and I know next time to start with a larger stack. This would've worked good if there were one more core bar, or if I had used 7/16" instead of 3/8". Probably would have worked had I not ground the bars flat. Oh well :rolleyes: I think it will be a very wieldable blade if I dont grind through it. I've got around 3/32" edge thickness and probably 1/8" thick in the thinnest point of the fuller. I think the trick will be to straighten everything very carefully before grinding. 

I wish I could work on this piece o' junk. 

4 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

I wish I could work on this piece o' junk.

Patience laddie. It's just like learning to play guitar. Slow now, fast later.

• Like 1
On 10/6/2019 at 11:10 PM, Zeb Camper said:

Thanks! I found a lil' bitty sword earlier. It wasn't Anglo-Saxon either. So there had to have been a similar sword forged by some "bubba" bladesmith. 

There's an Anglo-Saxon one in the British Museum that is quite slender and light weight. I believe the complete sword weighs about 750gram.

• Like 1

I forged out a square of wrought and added that to the cut off sword core that I previously added 1080 square to make up a langsax preform. 

It measures about 26" long, 1 3/8" wide and tapering from 5/16" to around 1/4"... I wonder if I could fishmouth a tang on it and make another sword :huh:

Edit: I dont think so. Still not enough material. Better just make a big ol' sax. 

20191012_134118.jpg

20191012_160321.jpg

Edited by Zeb Camper
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Slow going. Finally got my 3 legged freind rehabilitated enough to where he can watch himself for a while.

Tried the 6" grinder wheel. Worked pretty good! I need a sanding beam to match.

That single edged sax is patterned as well. I need to file on that next. I put some sori into it hoping it nosedives in the quench.  

I used a ferrier's rasp to rough file the sword some today. To my surprise it was a steel hog! 

20200302_155839.jpg

20200302_155803.jpg

Edited by Zeb Camper
Huge pics
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

A better shot of the p-weld sitting near perfectly within the fuller20200314_144613.jpg

And 4 1/2 hours of sanding later and I still have another side to go. 

20200314_161454.jpg

This thing was just over a pound when I weighed it last IIRC. I'll be curious to get it back on a scale. 100% accurate or not, it should be sharp and fast! If it should survive HT. 

• Like 2