Sign in to follow this  
alan macdougall

belt grinder motors and vfd uk advice required

I'd go with M8 or M10 bolts, myself.  M6 might work, but are on the small side depending on grade.  10mm angle for the platen should be fine.

Thanks Alan, ive upped the holes to 7mm for a m8 tap.

Unfortunately my cheapo tap holder decided to strip its threads on me, so ive been using the drill press and just manually turning the chuck with the tap fitted, to thread the holes. Its time consuming, but cheaper than buying another tap wrench. 

ive also shortened the main body of the grinder to 300mm or 12 inches, from 400mm or 18 inches it was just too long, but I never thought to check the belt length against it.

I got the shouldered bolts to fit the wheels today and after measuring roughly where the belt would go, decided that shortening the main body was needed and has made it look much more in proportion.

im also contemplating re-doing the tensioning wheel arm and adjuster for something lighter. Its inch and a half square solid bar, but I think 1/2 inch plate would possibly be more than stiff enough

About the tensioning plate for the top tensioner wheel.

Am I correct thinking it shouldn't have any sideways play, other than just clearance 

Yes.  On my KMG that plate only moves on one axis, no side-to-side play.

• Like 1