Very small damascus or makume cut-offs

I want to make some Cuff links and a tie clip out of damascus or Makume But I don't have the things I need to make them so I was wondering if any of you had some really small cut-off pieces you would be willing to sell.

Thanks in advance. :D

Im not sure where I should post this so move it if ya need. 

Edited by Conner Michaux

Makume Game is just Nickel and Copper if I'm not mistaken.  Haven't tried making any myself yet.  But you could get yourself a bunch of Pennies and a bunch of nickels and make it that way I think I saw a video of someone doing that not too long ago on Youtube.

Pennies are a no-go, they're not copper anymore.  $2 worth of quarters and some heavy tongs are all you need.  The quarters are nickel-sheathed copper, got the contrast built right in!  Somewhere around here Chris Price posted his method of making it.  Helps to find it if you spell it right, though.  Mokume gane.  

https://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?/search/&q=quarter mokume&type=forums_topic&page=1&search_and_or=and&sortby=relevancy

6 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

Pennies are a no-go, they're not copper anymore.  $2 worth of quarters and some heavy tongs are all you need.  The quarters are nickel-sheathed copper, got the contrast built right in!  Somewhere around here Chris Price posted his method of making it.  Helps to find it if you spell it right, though.  Mokume gane.  

https://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?/search/&q=quarter mokume&type=forums_topic&page=1&search_and_or=and&sortby=relevancy

That's always good to know, didn't realize pennies weren't made of copper any more.  Just quarters?   Those I've got plenty of lol..  My spelling has been off all day lol.

Dimes are the same composition as quarters.  And based off my Google searching a while ago, you get the same amount of metal per $ of coins (10 dimes weighs the same as 4 quarters).  Not that you should use US currency in this fashion though.  That is against the rules.  :ph34r:

• Haha 1

I personally have never succeeded in using quarters for Mokume. YMMV.

I probably have some mokume scrap lying around and I definitely have pieces of Damascus. What size pieces are you looking for? Which would you prefer?

I want to make two links for each cuff out of Damascus and the tie clip out of makume. I will get the sizes tomorrow.

So I need four half inch squares of damascus. And a 1/4 thick 1/4 wide 3'' long makume piece. Makume piece is a little big so there is some mistake room.

Thanks

@Conner Michaux  I haven't forgotten about this. I just have been looking through the stuff for pieces that fit your size requirements and would look good (IMO) as cufflinks. I think you would need a pretty coarse pattern so it is visible easily. The pieces I have will need to be forged thinner and cut into the shapes/sizes you want. Do you have the ability, equipment wise, to do that? 

Hopefully these photos look ok. There's a piece of 1/8 inch thick high layer ladder pattern that would get all four cuff links or a piece of lower layer semi-W pattern that is 1/4 inches thick (min) that needs forging to get all 4 cufflinks. The mokume is copper/nickel silver about 3/16 inch thick by about 3/8" wide and 3 inches long.

IMG_20190206_165819244.jpg

IMG_20190206_165923094.jpg

IMG_20190206_165954894_20190206172231916.jpg

Edited by Joshua States

Ill take the ladder pattern piece, the makume  looks perfect. 

How much do you want for them??

You can send me a direct message if you need. 

Clothing accessories okay.  Hmm last time I wore a tie was when I got my First Degree of Free Masonry.  LMAO since then I've never worn a tie again.  No nothing bad happened but simply due to the fact of taking it off and putting it on became a pain lmao.  But that should be interesting when finished.