Sign in to follow this  
Chad Scott

Kith blade 2019

So for this years KITH I have decided to tackle the slip joint. This will be a first for me, so I am rather excited for the new challenge. 

I am actually a few lunch breaks into this project, but I just haven't remembered to post anything until last night. So here is an overview of where I am currently.

20190131_134928_HDR.jpg

My design sketch, the one on the right was the original the left is the finalized idea.

I then cut out my patterns and cleaned them up via belt and file. I drilled some holes in a board, filing and checking until I was happy with the fit between the spring and blade.

20190129_124655.jpg20190129_124647.jpg

I now have the liners cut out and for everything together. I am pretty happy with the action right now, it may be a little firm, we will see. 

20190131_134426.jpg

I don't really have a way to relieve the material around the pin (creating a boss, or built in spacer) I guess I could gently go at it with the dremel, but I am a bit concerned about that. 

So now I have to start thinking about scale material, you guys have any opinions?20190131_134544.jpg

I believe these are kingswood, olive, ebony, and I am unsure of the red one. I also have a piece that is black and grey with a bit of white similar to the red piece there. It might be cool if I could get the transition from white and black to line up with the differential hardening line in the blade.20190131_124104.jpg

Well, lets see what I can accomplish on my next lunch break!

Edited by Chad Scott
  • Like 2

I cannot see any of the photos

• Like 1

Looking good. I like the sheep foot, great edc blade. Put me down as plus one for olive wood. No particular reason, I just don't see it represented often.

I can see them now. Looking good.