Fantasy Axe.... Thing. Input loved

So. I've been interested in blacksmithing for a very long time, but it's only this year that I've taken a good and proper, hard look at the mechanics and science behind it. How blades where made, hardening and tempering, that sort of thing. That coupled with my writing hobby, I was bound to think up a few fantasy blades. Most I scrapped almost immediately because they looked really cool and was about as useful as a toothpick, but I've been stewing about this one design for a long while now, and I'm willing to take the plunge to see what you guys think about it

20190131_162024.jpg

It's... A lot. XD

You'll have to forgive my lack of artistic skill, but that's the idea I had. A sort of billhook-pick-hammer....thing. A sawbacked billhook-pick-hammer....thing.

Two kinds of grinds in the blade, the chisel grind for the "knife" bit with a V bevel for the axe bit because it'd be easier to sharpen. THe handle I planned on simply being twisted metal, with a hook at the end to stop the blade from slipping out.

I won't bore you with the details, but I tried to make a non-folding swiss army knife. If anyone has any design input, please tell me. It's why I put it there in the beginning

Alright, I took a few minutes to sketch out your desing and give some feedback.

First let me say that I like crazy fantasy blades, even though I mostly do more traditional stuff there is a lot of fun shapes to be found by jest letting your imagination run wild.

There are a few things that look less than ideal with your initial sketch.

Your blade looks like a wicked chopper, and so I think when you´ve made it you will want to hack stuff with it, having a metal handle will be very uncomfartable on impact and the hook on the handle end looks like it would hurt the users hand. I also think a shaped handle would keep your hand from slipping up into the edge or saw teeth.

My sketch has wooden scales with rivets as a handle, this would be easy to make and really add a lot of comfort, you could even wrap the scales in cord or leather for extra grip.

the hook on the end is more rounded as for user safety and I would grind the steep bevel on the pickaxe end for extra puncturing power.

20190131_174528.jpg

I hope this helped a bit and when you decide to build it keep us updated, I would like to see something like this in action.;)

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Pieter-Paul Derks said:

Alright, I took a few minutes to sketch out your desing and give some feedback.

First let me say that I like crazy fantasy blades, even though I mostly do more traditional stuff there is a lot of fun shapes to be found by jest letting your imagination run wild.

There are a few things that look less than ideal with your initial sketch.

Your blade looks like a wicked chopper, and so I think when you´ve made it you will want to hack stuff with it, having a metal handle will be very uncomfartable on impact and the hook on the handle end looks like it would hurt the users hand. I also think a shaped handle would keep your hand from slipping up into the edge or saw teeth.

My sketch has wooden scales with rivets as a handle, this would be easy to make and really add a lot of comfort, you could even wrap the scales in cord or leather for extra grip.

the hook on the end is more rounded as for user safety and I would grind the steep bevel on the pickaxe end for extra puncturing power.

20190131_174528.jpg

I hope this helped a bit and when you decide to build it keep us updated, I would like to see something like this in action.;)

Ohhhh. I like this. I like this a lot. HOpefully one day I'll actually make it

Also! Hello daar Nederlander! Afrikaner hierso.