Sign in to follow this  
JohnCenter

Can hardened O1 be peened?

I want to try and make a puukko using O1 and a stick tang design similar to the Polar's and Laurie's that are sold by Brisa. I have my steel heat treated by  a local professional (digital oven, etc.). As a beginner,  I assume this means the stick tang as well as the blade will be hardened when done (59-60 Rc.). I don't know a lot about this kind of thing, but  I remember reading that most puukkos are hand made so the tang is often left softer than the actual blade.

If that is the case, will I be able to peen the hardened O1? Or do I have to request the heat-treater do something specific?

01 is not very forgiving to peen at best, and hardened would be next to impossible.  Ask your guy if he hardened the whole thing or left the tang soft.  If he did the whole thing, your best bet would be to wrap the blade in a wet cloth and use a propane torch to draw the temper of the last half-inch or so of the tang.  Bring it to a low red heat and let it cool slowly.  This is a subcritical anneal and will make it as soft as it's going to get at this stage.  

Good luck!

Okay. Kind of as I feared I guess.

I plan on calling monday and speaking with them, but wanted more insight before I did.

Edited by JohnCenter

Chances are also really good that the forging of the tang caused some strange things to happen in the tang steel and even  a drawback like Alan suggests could be dicey.

I could not get O1 annealed for love or money to drill tang holes......my money is on "no"

You could always leave the O1 portion of the tang short, and then weld on an extension of mild steel.

9 hours ago, Gerhard Gerber said:

I could not get O1 annealed for love or money to drill tang holes

O-1 is hyper-eutectoid and takes a pretty controlled process for a spherodizing anneal.  You have a computer controlled kiln I think, so this process should work.

3 hours ago, Alex Middleton said:

You could always leave the O1 portion of the tang short, and then weld on an extension of mild steel.

This is a good idea. You could also braze in a piece of softer non-ferrous to accomplish the same thing.

Edited by Joshua States