Gerhard Gerber

Glue in file work

Hi All

I wanted to to file work all around the handle of a full tang Bowie I'm busy with, but I couldn't figure out how to keep the epoxy out of the little notches while glueing up, or alternatively how to clean up afterwards.....?

Picking out the dry bits of glue sounds like a recipe for disaster.

How do you feel about takedown handle scales. There are all types of threaded rivet fasteners. They require a step drill to fit properly and a bit of precision drilling the tang and scales but it could be one solution. You could also use a drop of thread locker like locktite on them to make them more or less permanent. This should work if the tang is thick enough to prevent flexing. Cleaning out the file work after the fact doesn't sound fun!

Someone on here was talking about using a thin coat of petroleum jelly in the filework to keep the epoxy from sticking to it.  I like the look of the epoxy filled filework, so I haven't tried this yet.

• Like 1

Petroleum jelly (commonly called Vaseline). I lightly smear any and all surfaces I do not want the epoxy sticking to before glue-up. Then, as the glue squishes out while clamping, I take a cotton swab with more petroleum jelly and work it into the file work details and any rouge epoxy on the surfaces to force the glue out and mix with whatever residue remains. The epoxy fails to stick or harden fully. It is pretty easy to pick out using a wood toothpick and not cause any significant damage.

1 minute ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Someone on here was talking about using a thin coat of petroleum jelly in the filework to keep the epoxy from sticking to it.  I like the look of the epoxy filled filework, so I haven't tried this yet.

That was me.

• Like 1

Gerhard,

Another way to clean up  excess glue is to use a stiff brush (like an acid brush) loaded with acetone if done before the epoxy sets up.  [Make sure that you  have the pieces clamped tightly while doing this.]

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MichaelP said:

How do you feel about takedown handle scales. There are all types of threaded rivet fasteners. They require a step drill to fit properly and a bit of precision drilling the tang and scales but it could be one solution. You could also use a drop of thread locker like locktite on them to make them more or less permanent. This should work if the tang is thick enough to prevent flexing. Cleaning out the file work after the fact doesn't sound fun!

Unfortunately I don't have access to that kind of hardware, but thanks for the idea....

Vaseline.....that sounds like a recipe for disaster in my hands! :lol: I use a 24-cure epoxy and glue-up is still a nervous moment for me, almost never enough mixed up to finish the job, at least never enough in the right place and plenty squeezing out elsewhere!

I've watched my mentor doing the same job using the same  glue, and he doesn't need gloves!

16 hours ago, Gary Mulkey said:

Gerhard,

Another way to clean up  excess glue is to use a stiff brush (like an acid brush) loaded with acetone if done before the epoxy sets up.  [Make sure that you  have the pieces clamped tightly while doing this.]

Sound more my style, thanks

this is the handle with the most pins I've ever attempted, fortunately the blade is HT'ed already so I'll give the file work a spin on the next knife.

Thanks

Gerhard