Randy Griffin

Hunting, post your game.

I've noticed some of you are interested in hunting. Let's see what you bagged this year. I'm on a week vacation to put some meat in the freezer and got this one this morning. Not a big one but he will be tasty.

DSCN6424.JPG

• Like 2

Nice looking deer Randy! I got two doe this year and whitetail ended for me Feb 1st. When I get back up to the shop I'll snap some pics of some past hunts.

That's a few knife handles he's wearing on his head!

Thought I might as well include my entry for tiniest rack:P

101_0380.JPG

101_0381.JPG

Have not been hunting yet, always wanted to.

I have an obsession with trying to make my own jerky, I love jerky but it is so expensive. I wonder if any stores are open with the snowstorm coming through here, I might just have to go buy some :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Stephen Asay said:

I might just have to go buy some :ph34r:

This was mine from last season. This back surgery kept me from hunting this year but the wife got this doe this year.

Resized_20171128_132817.jpg

Resized_20181116_182106(1)(1).jpeg

• Like 1

Dang it, you guys are making me jealous. I have been a semi vegetarian for several weeks, been living off of bread, peanut butter, nuts, and beans. I have not bothered to buy and cook because during the workweek meals are provided.  Well skip to a four day weekend and I don't think I can take much more nuts, beans, and lentils. 

That's pretty small. :lol: I've got a couple like that. One's a 10 point that will fit in your shirt pocket. I like the 8 point in the window. Are these bow kills?

Edited by Randy Griffin

Nice one Jeremy. That's a fat doe. I think doe meat is best.

Edit: Is the left side broken?

Edited by Randy Griffin
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Stephen Asay said:

Dang it, you guys are making me jealous. I have been a semi vegetarian for several weeks, been living off of bread, peanut butter, nuts, and beans. I have not bothered to buy and cook because during the workweek meals are provided.  Well skip to a four day weekend and I don't think I can take much more nuts, beans, and lentils. 

I'd never make a vegetarian. If I sit down to eat and don't have meat, I have snacked.:ph34r:

Yeah the left side is broke. On the buck and the doe. When we skinned the doe she had some broken ribs and a broken leg. 

My son and I doubled up during our early antlerless season last year.  Mine was an average 1.5 year old.  His was a corn fed behemoth!  All told we got almost 100 lbs of meat out of these two.

42295330_10217906938331549_6436055119220965376_o.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Randy Griffin said:

That's pretty small. :lol: I've got a couple like that. One's a 10 point that will fit in your shirt pocket. I like the 8 point in the window. Are these bow kills?

Traditional. Martin Savannah, 55@28, Port Orford Cedar shafts, three feather right helicoil and Z-Wicky  Eskimo broadheads

I was out looking for gourds one day and I came across a squirrel skin on the sidewalk next to a small patch of trees, just out in the suburbs right next to some apartments on a busy street. I would not catch and eat anything in the city.

Id like to hunt boar and make sausages, maybe with a spear or hunting sword. If I needed to I would hunt with a rifle but its not very appealing to me, a bow would be more my thing but im not too good with them. Ah, you need dogs to get close to a boar though...

With a little bit of practice im good with a slingshot, I made a few and make my own tapered bands from exercise bands, its hard to cut the bands but you can get a mean sling shot. Just shooting rocks through the air they sound like a bullet ricochet and they tend to fly pretty straight for 30-40 feet. I need to get some theraband, thats the favorite brand of rubber for slingshots, the cheap stuff breaks pretty quick. I like to have a long draw the width of my arms, if you draw the same every time you can start to get accurate and aim with your body, kind of like using a saw. They way I make slingshots there is no clearance for the pouch to go through the fork so you have to let it fall horizontal or you will take a rock to the thumb, and if its already traveled my arm span on light weight (fast) tapered bands its gonna hurt. Its hard to cut the bands so I would like to try tube. There are some guys that break the sound barrier with BBs, they use tapered bands.

I think you need a license to hunt anything so I dont do it, not until I get a license at least.

Id also like to hunt those big python in florida, most snakes arent too meaty but I imagine a python would have a good bit on it. Some day I might try lizard, ive read the rough scaled ones are usually vegetarian and are okay to eat. But I think you still need a license.

2 hours ago, steven smith said:

I think you need a license to hunt anything so I dont do it, not until I get a license at least.

Check with your state's Game & Fish agency. Chances are good that most small game species (varies by state) do not require anything special other than a general license and can be hunted with air rifles almost anywhere as they are not considered firearms. Air rifles now come in .17, .22, and .25 caliber pellet shooting. I have a .17 and a .22 but have never used them for hunting. Just to eradicate a pocket gopher infestation from my back porch!

2 hours ago, MichaelP said:

Traditional. Martin Savannah, 55@28, Port Orford Cedar shafts, three feather right helicoil and Z-Wicky  Eskimo broadheads

I just looked at the Martin. Nice looking bow.

I hunted with a bamboo long hunter until my knees went bad. Shot a lot of Port Orford and other woods but the best head I found was the Simmons Land Shark. I miss those days. That was real hunting.

How does the Martin shoot?

2 hours ago, steven smith said:

I was out looking for gourds one day and I came across a squirrel skin on the sidewalk next to a small patch of trees, just out in the suburbs right next to some apartments on a busy street. I would not catch and eat anything in the city.

Id like to hunt boar and make sausages, maybe with a spear or hunting sword. If I needed to I would hunt with a rifle but its not very appealing to me, a bow would be more my thing but im not too good with them. Ah, you need dogs to get close to a boar though...

With a little bit of practice im good with a slingshot, I made a few and make my own tapered bands from exercise bands, its hard to cut the bands but you can get a mean sling shot. Just shooting rocks through the air they sound like a bullet ricochet and they tend to fly pretty straight for 30-40 feet. I need to get some theraband, thats the favorite brand of rubber for slingshots, the cheap stuff breaks pretty quick. I like to have a long draw the width of my arms, if you draw the same every time you can start to get accurate and aim with your body, kind of like using a saw. They way I make slingshots there is no clearance for the pouch to go through the fork so you have to let it fall horizontal or you will take a rock to the thumb, and if its already traveled my arm span on light weight (fast) tapered bands its gonna hurt. Its hard to cut the bands so I would like to try tube. There are some guys that break the sound barrier with BBs, they use tapered bands.

Id also like to hunt those big python in florida, most snakes arent too meaty but I imagine a python would have a good bit on it. Some day I might try lizard, ive read the rough scaled ones are usually vegetarian and are okay to eat. But I think you still need a license.

Shooting a traditional bow is like shooting your slingshot. Just takes a lot of practice.

3 hours ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

Yeah the left side is broke. On the buck and the doe. When we skinned the doe she had some broken ribs and a broken leg. 

Was the meat ok?

3 hours ago, Alex Middleton said:

My son and I doubled up during our early antlerless season last year.  Mine was an average 1.5 year old.  His was a corn fed behemoth!  All told we got almost 100 lbs of meat out of these two.

That doe is huge.

Hopefully sometime in the next few years I can start hunting. :D

23 minutes ago, Randy Griffin said:

I just looked at the Martin. Nice looking bow.

I hunted with a bamboo long hunter until my knees went bad. Shot a lot of Port Orford and other woods but the best head I found was the Simmons Land Shark. I miss those days. That was real hunting.

How does the Martin shoot?

It's a reflex/deflex limb, no hand shock at all and with string silencers very little noise. I bought mine second hand back around 2000 and it shoots sweeter than custom bows I've had built to spec. They are pricey but knowing what I know now I would take it over any of my customs. The Fred Bear Montana long bow is nice, and worth the money they sell for, but I wouldn't trade ten of them for the Savannah. I know what you mean about "real hunting". I don't harvest as much game as I used to but I never have a bad day on stand with a bow. You get to watch some monster bucks walk away because they are a few yards too far or wont give you that perfect quartering away angle but it's a lot of fun. If it came down to survival and my family needed the meat I'm grabbing a .308 with a giant piece of glass on top, but as long as it's just for my own spiritual well being I'll take the stick and the string for as long as I can. If you're not too far from a Bass Pro they will let you shoot the Savannah, or anything else, on their indoor range, but after you take one for a test shoot you're probably better off buying it elsewhere;) I love to window shop at Bass Pro but I love to actual shop with whoever has the best price!

1 hour ago, Randy Griffin said:

That doe is huge

You're not kidding.  Thankfully my buddy who's farm we were hunting came out with the tractor to get her.  It would have been a long uphill drag otherwise.

1 hour ago, MichaelP said:

It's a reflex/deflex limb, no hand shock at all and with string silencers very little noise. I bought mine second hand back around 2000 and it shoots sweeter than custom bows I've had built to spec. They are pricey but knowing what I know now I would take it over any of my customs. The Fred Bear Montana long bow is nice, and worth the money they sell for, but I wouldn't trade ten of them for the Savannah. I know what you mean about "real hunting". I don't harvest as much game as I used to but I never have a bad day on stand with a bow. You get to watch some monster bucks walk away because they are a few yards too far or wont give you that perfect quartering away angle but it's a lot of fun. If it came down to survival and my family needed the meat I'm grabbing a .308 with a giant piece of glass on top, but as long as it's just for my own spiritual well being I'll take the stick and the string for as long as I can. If you're not too far from a Bass Pro they will let you shoot the Savannah, or anything else, on their indoor range, but after you take one for a test shoot you're probably better off buying it elsewhere;) I love to window shop at Bass Pro but I love to actual shop with whoever has the best price!

Next time I get down to Spanish Fort I'll see if they have one. I can't get around very well but I still like to shoot. Problem is my old hunting bow is 73#@28.

1 hour ago, Alex Middleton said:

You're not kidding.  Thankfully my buddy who's farm we were hunting came out with the tractor to get her.  It would have been a long uphill drag otherwise.

I've heard about those Michigan does. I know a guy that tells about the 200# doe he killed in Michigan. :blink: 

That's heavy! Every state has different regulations on poundage but everywhere I've checked so far is ok with 45lbs for whitetail. 45lbs will certainly bring them down with sharp blades.