Sign in to follow this  
Geoff Keyes

Doing some "production" work

Well, it's more production than my usual style.  I need some table stock for a Mountain Man show in a month or so.  I'm going to make a bunch of small, rustic, rat tail knives.  I should have enough stock left over to make a bunch of friction folders.

I am not usually a fan of mystery steel, but in this case I know what this stuff is, it's 1095.  The stock is old school plumbing tools, from the days when cast iron pipes were joined with lead, wax and oakum.  I often make punches and other tools out of this stuff, but I wanted some small stock and this is a pretty easy way to get it on short notice.

It's a bit chilly in the hot shop, and we have another big storm bearing down on us.  I guess we should not have taunted winter.

DSC08472.JPG

Each pic is one heat per piece of stock.  The first pass was on the press, then the power hammer, which does a better job getting down to 1/4" thick and then a hand hammer.

DSC08473.JPG

DSC08474.JPG

DSC08476.JPG

DSC08480.JPG

I'll do full tangs on these, and with what is left over, I'll make friction folders or some stick tang stuff.

g

DSC08475.JPG

Edited by Geoff Keyes

Looks good so far Geoff looks like you've got a lot of work ahead of you to do.

What I find with this sort of thing it that I get faster doing it this way.  It doesn't feed the inner smith quite as much, but I can get a lot done.  I mix this with one off projects to keep from going mad.

Geoff

57 minutes ago, Geoff Keyes said:

What I find with this sort of thing it that I get faster doing it this way.  It doesn't feed the inner smith quite as much, but I can get a lot done.  I mix this with one off projects to keep from going mad.

Geoff

Geoff hope youre ready for snow...I definately know that feeling lol.