Sign in to follow this  
Geoff Keyes

Doing some "production" work

Well, it's more production than my usual style.  I need some table stock for a Mountain Man show in a month or so.  I'm going to make a bunch of small, rustic, rat tail knives.  I should have enough stock left over to make a bunch of friction folders.

I am not usually a fan of mystery steel, but in this case I know what this stuff is, it's 1095.  The stock is old school plumbing tools, from the days when cast iron pipes were joined with lead, wax and oakum.  I often make punches and other tools out of this stuff, but I wanted some small stock and this is a pretty easy way to get it on short notice.

It's a bit chilly in the hot shop, and we have another big storm bearing down on us.  I guess we should not have taunted winter.

DSC08472.JPG

Each pic is one heat per piece of stock.  The first pass was on the press, then the power hammer, which does a better job getting down to 1/4" thick and then a hand hammer.

DSC08473.JPG

DSC08474.JPG

DSC08476.JPG

DSC08480.JPG

I'll do full tangs on these, and with what is left over, I'll make friction folders or some stick tang stuff.

g

DSC08475.JPG

Edited by Geoff Keyes

Looks good so far Geoff looks like you've got a lot of work ahead of you to do.

What I find with this sort of thing it that I get faster doing it this way.  It doesn't feed the inner smith quite as much, but I can get a lot done.  I mix this with one off projects to keep from going mad.

Geoff

57 minutes ago, Geoff Keyes said:

What I find with this sort of thing it that I get faster doing it this way.  It doesn't feed the inner smith quite as much, but I can get a lot done.  I mix this with one off projects to keep from going mad.

Geoff

Geoff hope youre ready for snow...I definately know that feeling lol.

Just an update.  It's been cold an snowy (3 FEET of snowy) which makes everything harder, but I've managed to get a few hours in.  All of the pieces cut to length, rat tails curled and ground and ready for HT tomorrow.

DSC08481.JPG

DSC08484.JPG

• Like 1

Damn you got 3 feet at your place??? I only got 10 inches was trapped for five days.  But 3 feet gah.   The blades look good though,

I finally got all of these finished.  These will all be on the table in Eugene.  If you are interested in one, PM me.

IMG_1588 (Medium).JPG

• Like 3

These are very cool Geoff. I dig the variety in the tails.

I get bored, so I try new things.  Without going crazy, there aren't all that many variations.  If folks have ones I haven't figured out, I'd like to see them.  A couple of the handles on the first ones were way to long, so I clipped them off and made one finger strikers out of them.

Thanks

Geoff

Was that 550 cord I saw on one of your knife tangs for a handle or was i just seeing things.

No you are not seeing things.  I just went back an rewrapped one of the first ones.  I used a lumpy leather and I didn't like the way it turned out.  There is paracord, some rawhide, and mixes of hemp and cord, copper and one in elk

g