Sign in to follow this  
Robert D.

My first Leather sheath.

So I decided to finally bite the bullet and give a leather sheath a try over this weekend.  

In looking at my finished results, I can see at least two things I could have done differently. 

The first being put the dye on before doing any other work, I say this because I realized after I had done all the stitching that I couldnt stain or treat the inner section, and it also dyed the thread. I also suspect and hope that doing so would prevent some of the staining it picked up as I worked on it. 

Second would be to do some of the burnishing on the edges before stitching it up. Doing the belt loop and the outer edge is going to be one serious pain in the neck. 

I also think I need a better way of cutting the leather then an xacto blade,  Getting good round edges was a lot harder then I thought it would be... 

51669874_2235307146736610_1218267851467522048_n.jpg

51724430_2235307083403283_651259149656522752_n.jpg

52113296_2235307103403281_2120580617102950400_n.jpg

I would say that you did a good job for your first leather sheath.

Doug

Not bad, that's pretty good looks like you have a natural nak for working with leather.  Dont forget to put a dye on that leather.  

Edited by AndrewB

That one IS dyed, but I am starting to think I got the wrong stuff for it, and or I did it wrong.

The stuff i used is Fiebings Mahogany antique finish, which when I ordered my leather from Tandy was listed as a dye, but it seems more like a shoe polish and didnt darken the leather to what I expected it to do. 

I put 3 coats on the thing prior to taking those pics. Its entirely possible I bought the wrong stuff, turns out we have a Tandy location very close to me, so I am going to head in there when I get my tax refund and get a few more supplies. It honestly wasnt an unenjoyable experience making this sheath, and while its not equal to the blade I made it for, one of my first ever hidden tang blades I kept for myself also fits so ill be using this sheath for that blade moving forward.

Ah maybe I’m just used to the darker colored dyes.  Which do come in different colors.  If I’m not mistaken you can also use certain oils as well.  That’s coming from my drum making days.

My guess is I got the wrong stuff, I followed the directions exactly and it only darkened by a shade or three. When I was going for a much darker color.

On 2/10/2019 at 9:57 PM, Robert D. said:

My guess is I got the wrong stuff, I followed the directions exactly and it only darkened by a shade or three. When I was going for a much darker color.

You did.  Antiquing dye is not typically used to do a full dye (You can, but will they take multiple coats like you are finding out).  Typically it is a bit thicker, and when put on and then wiped away it will settle into the recesses in the leather.  It is great for tooled leather, since it will settle into the tooling, darkening it while you apply a lighter shade to the rest of the leather.  It makes for good contrast.  See the below picture of a sheath I made.  What you want is Fiebings Alcohol or Water based Dyes.  I prefer Alcohol since they are better at saturating the leather.  I like Fiebings Pro Dye.

sheathedalso.jpg

Your sheath looks really good. Stitching is very uniform and straight. 

If you are not going to have a loop around the handle,  I like for my sheath to be a little longer so the knife can go in deeper.

I like for about 2 fingers of the handle to stick out the top so there is no chance of it falling out.

Over all it looks great.

Doug

Jn. 3:16