Jordan Hunt

Mystery Steel

Hey guys, one of my business partners at the golf shop used to work as a machinist, and he gave me a big hunk of steel that he said was tool steel. I've never work with tool steel before but this think barely wants to let the grinder cut into it and the sparks are very minimal and dark orange in color? I dont know if this makes sense either, but when cutting it it feels very "mushy" against the grinder.

Thanks, I'll post some pics of the steel and sparks.

Good luck.  It's hard to beat the price point when the steel's free but "tool steel" takes in a lot of territory and may lead to a lot of hair pulling to try to get a blade made from it.

Doug

Edited by Doug Lester

You may have a slug of 1045 but I would double check with who ever you bought it from just to be on the safe side.

You absolutely cannot go by this, but FWIW O1 tool steel has a distinctive spark that to my eye is more orange than most and instead of sparks bursts has a kick at the end of the sparks.....if that makes ANY sense.

I'd bet it is something more like 4140 or 12L14 if it feels mushy when grinding.  However, and this is the thing about mystery steel, your guess is absolutely as good as mine :)

I'd vote 12L14 as well.  Low-carbon leaded free-machining mild steel.  Reddish sparks with no bursts or trails.

It could be an AR500 or AR300. Big chunks could be a rather large excavator tooth. 

Then again, it could be a nice door stop. Got any photos?

• Haha 1