Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

Mokume Gane

Okay so I know it's probably been asked bout 1000 times by tons of different people but I do want to try out Mokume Gane and make some of my own just for the kick of it. Nothing in particular.  From what I think it was that Alan said just a stack of quarters is all I really need for that material?  How would one get the roll or stack of quarters to stick.  I don't want to over heat it either because I know it would just literally melt in the forge.  But when I am finished with this first 20 layer billet I want to try this out as well.  I know you can make interesting things with it but my main plan for the Mokume Gane is basically for bolsters and or guards.  So since I know I can successfully forge weld now this is worth an attempt.  Any suggestions on this.  I've also been reading other threads on this as well.  So yes I did look around lol.

That was quite helpful thanks.

I followed similar steps that were in Ron’s linked video.  I cleaned the quarters with lighter fluid prior to welding. I made a clamp to hold my stack together in the forge. It’s 2 pieces of 3/8” flatbar 1 1/2x4” with 1/2” holes near the ends. I place my stack of quarters in ($6-$8 worth) and tighten down on my bolts to clamp everything in place. Toss it in the forge and wait a minute or two until I just begin to see them start sweating. I’ll pull the device out and give it a couple sharp blows with a 2lb hammer then retighten my bolts and repeat one more time. After two cycles it’s solid and I forge it do shape or thickness as desired. 

6C9586FA-7C6A-4382-A5BD-F7758F51F309.jpeg

Edited by DBain

I'm pretty sure I will get something figured out my forge I couldn't actually leave the quarter stack just set in the forge because I'm running with a coal forge.  So I'll have to come up with something to hold them.

You have kaowool and a propane torch.  That's really all you need.  Coal is gonna be a bit dirty for this.

21 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

You have kaowool and a propane torch.  That's really all you need.  Coal is gonna be a bit dirty for this.

I don't think I have kaowool at the moment, I've got a propane torch I need to get more propane though.  I also have fire bricks.  I was thinking about making a mini forge out of them  Using the propane torch.  I also still have a half a bag of refractory cement too lol.  Unless there is a way I can hook my small torch up to a 20 gallon tank lol.

Edited by AndrewB

Use a fire brick and the propane or MAPP torch with tongs, anvil, and a hammer.  You can get a good book on Makume gane from Amazon but the cheapest are in the $45-$55 range and from there they go sharply higher but they will list compatible metals and methods of patination.

Doug

Just now, Doug Lester said:

Use a fire brick and the propane or MAPP torch with tongs, anvil, and a hammer.  You can get a good book on Makume gane from Amazon but the cheapest are in the $45-$55 range and from there they go sharply higher but they will list compatible metals and methods of patination.

Doug

I'm not familiar with mapp gass I've never used it before so I'm a little iffy on it

MAPP gas comes in the yellow containers and burns a little hotter than propane.  Propane will work though.

Doug

I mean I can use either or I'm just not familiar with the gas is all

MAPP is stinky, but it burns hotter than propane.

I have used a clamp in the forge and pliers to make mokume, I got a lot of failures and stuff that couldnt be forged on the bias. I dont think I cleaned the coins with anything more than soap and water, a few times I used acetone. Thats probably what the problem was.

Its really worth it when it works though.

One time I forgewelded a bunch on nickles together, i ended up with a lump of nickle, its fun to forge.