Sign in to follow this  
DBain

A different question about etching.

I’ve searched here and elsewhere and haven’t seen much of an explanation.

I have s friend who wanted a skinner made out of a piece of cable from a job he worked.  Relatively small cable about 7/8” lifting sling, but a skinner is fairly small so I banged one out for him. 

My question is since ( I presume) all of the strands are made of the same steel why  is there a distinction between strands?  Why can you see the end cuts where I ground the bevels? Why wouldn’t it be homogeneous? Now my knife looks like every other cable steel knife out there and that’s what I was going for but I’m having a time understanding why the strands show individually. 

Is it due to the environmental conditions the cable was exposed to, or elemental changes that took place during the forging process. 

Similarly if I took a stack of a dozen pieces of 15n20 and forge welded them together then forged a knife , ground, heat treated, sanded, and etched it would it show a pattern?

It's decarb at the weld lines, and yes, any pile of homogeneous steel wil show that unless you do a few soaks in a reducing atmosphere to even things out after welding.

Simple enough, thank you.