Sign in to follow this  
Wes Detrick

Frame Handled Fighter (been some time since I posted)

Hey everyone,

I think it has been a while since I posted something.  That isn't to say that I haven't made anything, but it was nothing new for me or you all for that matter.

Anyhow, here is the newest, and something worth posting.  I call it The Black Death, and it is a frame handled fighter.  I continue my trend of making knives that are black (and sometimes very very dark gray).  This blade has been laying around my shop for the better part of 2 years waiting to be done.  It is intended as a Graduation gift for my brother his Master's from UNLV coming up this year.

Blade is W2 that has been differentially heat treated to produce a hamon, and in a departure for me, I made a frosty hamon.  It is hard to see in the pictures, but I will see about posting a video maybe.

The guard is copper, and rust blued steel, as are the spacers, and the frame of the knife.  The scales are black micarta.  Typically I don't like synthetics, but I actually really like how this micarta turned out.  It is black!  

Blade is 8.5" and the handle is 5".  Thanks for checking it out!

IMG_1684.jpg

IMG_1683.jpg

IMG_1696.jpg

IMG_1699.jpg

IMG_1672.jpg

• Like 7

Wes! You're back! Freaking-A brother. That looks cool even on my phone. I have to get to the desktop and see it in big screen.

• Like 2

I was wondering what you've been up too. Turns out it was pretty cool stuff! I really like the proportions, everything looks just right to the eye. I still have the goal to grind plunges like that...

• Like 1

Loving it Wes. You seem to have stepped up the game a little. Really nice form and the finish looks superb. What grit did you take that to?

I am really kind of neurotic about pinned frame handles (as you have pointed out before) and there is one teeny little thing about this knife that presses Josh's neurotic button. I really do like how close you got the pins to the edges, but the rear pins are much closer to the heel than the front pins are to the spacer package. I know, that is just me and my nit-noid self, so feel free to ignore me.

BTW-How did you manage to get those rear pins so close to the corners and not crack the scales? Seriously, that is blowing my tiny mind.

• Like 1

Very nice howd you like the snow Wes

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AndrewB said:

Very nice howd you like the snow Wes

According to his FB post:

I threw my f*****g back out shoveling snow. This is b******t

How's the back Wes?

1 minute ago, Joshua States said:

How's the back Wes?

Egads yea I bout did the same danged thing today.  

55 minutes ago, Cody Killgore said:

Oh my.... that's a beauty. Nice photography as well!

... and the sheath....

wow...

Thanks Cody!

54 minutes ago, Geoff Keyes said:

Very nice.  That must have taken some thought to get all of that right.

g

Thanks Geoff.  It did take some planning and then I had to modify my plans a little bit during the process.  But, my plan actually worked out really well to get everything fit up tightly.

36 minutes ago, Joël Mercier said:

I was wondering what you've been up too. Turns out it was pretty cool stuff! I really like the proportions, everything looks just right to the eye. I still have the goal to grind plunges like that...

Thanks Joël!  I think you are well on your way; your knives are great!  And especially great considering how long you have been making knives.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

How's the back Wes?

It sucks.  As long as I don't move too much I don't feel it.  But as soon as I need to stand up or sit down it sucks.  But thanks for asking brother :D

25 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

Loving it Wes. You seem to have stepped up the game a little. Really nice form and the finish looks superb. What grit did you take that to?

I am really kind of neurotic about pinned frame handles (as you have pointed out before) and there is one teeny little thing about this knife that presses Josh's neurotic button. I really do like how close you got the pins to the edges, but the rear pins are much closer to the heel than the front pins are to the spacer package. I know, that is just me and my nit-noid self, so feel free to ignore me.

BTW-How did you manage to get those rear pins so close to the corners and not crack the scales? Seriously, that is blowing my tiny mind.

Damn it Joshua :lol:  Now I am only ever going to see that difference.  And I am forced to agree.  Good looking out though my friend, that is something to plan out for next time.  

To answer your questions, I went very slowly.  I made myself a rivet header/peen block for a couple of different pin sizes that splits down the middle.  Clamp it up and it pinches the pin so I can dome on side.  Once that was done, they were glued in and then I backed the dome heads with a piece of micarta and then very slowly, domed the other sides.  
I seem to remember Alan asking me about how I didn't split some bone scales while doming pins :D  I guess I have good luck.  I hope it persists

• Like 1

Wes, that is one you knocked out of the ball park! out of the park.pngMan that one is awesome! You dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's!! 

• Like 1

I love it when I see your posts because I know it is going to demonstrate upper echelon level design, have an impeccable fit and finish, and in some way or other involve rust bluing... You didn't disappoint with this one. 

• Like 1

I missed this post but I saw the knife on Facebook this morning.......simply stunning Wes!

• Like 1

That is some very nice work Wes.   I'd be proud to own that...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Richard A. (Woody) Hanson said:

That is one beautiful knife and the sheath is awesome too

Many thanks Woody!

3 hours ago, C Craft said:

Wes, that is one you knocked out of the ball park! Man that one is awesome! You dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's!! 

Much appreciated my friend!  Glad you like it.

3 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

Very clean! 

Thanks Zeb!

3 hours ago, Adam Weller said:

I love it when I see your posts because I know it is going to demonstrate upper echelon level design, have an impeccable fit and finish, and in some way or other involve rust bluing... You didn't disappoint with this one. 

Ha!  I love me some rust bluing, that is certain.  I don't know why, but it checks all of those boxes for me.  Texture:  check.  Patina: Check.  It's black:  Check.   Thanks Adam, I appreciate the compliments!

1 hour ago, Gerhard Gerber said:

I missed this post but I saw the knife on Facebook this morning.......simply stunning Wes!

Thanks Gerhard!  I try to post it to Facebook and here pretty much at the same time.  Instagram will be tomorrow :)

1 hour ago, Bruno said:

That is some very nice work Wes.   I'd be proud to own that...

Thanks Bruno; I always consider that the biggest compliment!

That is one sweet knife... Everything about it just " Flows ", unlike snow...  

I feel your pain sir, We got almost 2 feet of snow in the valley last week here in Salt Lake, I spent about 2 hours digging my car out and screwing my back up before my boss sent out the mass text telling everyone to work from home that day... 

• Like 1

I was wondering whatever happened to you, man.  That is freakin' AWESOME! B)

• Like 1

Wow, that is smokin'

I've wanted to try some rust bluing for a long time now.  (Much longer than I have been making knives)  Would you care to elaborate on your process?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Robert D. said:

That is one sweet knife... Everything about it just " Flows ", unlike snow...  

I feel your pain sir, We got almost 2 feet of snow in the valley last week here in Salt Lake, I spent about 2 hours digging my car out and screwing my back up before my boss sent out the mass text telling everyone to work from home that day... 

Thanks Robert!  I like things that "flow" so I work pretty hard to make it happen.  Glad it gets picked up on.

Yep, we got a total of 20", which is a record here going back to like the 1920s.  I am done with it.  And it is supposed to snow next week too :(

3 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

I was wondering whatever happened to you, man.  That is freakin' AWESOME! B)

I am still here Alan!  Kinda been in a funk with knives for the past 6 months or so.  Not sure why, but I am seem to be coming out of it.  And thanks, I am really glad you like it!

3 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Wow, that is smokin'

I've wanted to try some rust bluing for a long time now.  (Much longer than I have been making knives)  Would you care to elaborate on your process?

Many thanks Brian!  I will send you a DM with the process.  I have been thinking about doing a write up for the Forum, just need to take some pictures of the process.

It doesn't happen very often, but every now and then an object just speaks to me.  I can hear that knife whispering in the back of my mind.  How in the world did you manage to make something that looks that elegant, and that dangerous at the same time?  The sweeping lines, the contrast in materials, the sheer quality of craftsmanship, it all adds up to something that is simply magnificent.  I can only hope to one day feel the solemn pride that you must feel at creating something so beautiful.

Thank you for sharing.

Finn

• Like 1