Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Wes Detrick

Frame Handled Fighter (been some time since I posted)

Recommended Posts

On 2/14/2019 at 11:36 AM, Finn Hill said:

It doesn't happen very often, but every now and then an object just speaks to me.  I can hear that knife whispering in the back of my mind.  How in the world did you manage to make something that looks that elegant, and that dangerous at the same time?  The sweeping lines, the contrast in materials, the sheer quality of craftsmanship, it all adds up to something that is simply magnificent.  I can only hope to one day feel the solemn pride that you must feel at creating something so beautiful.

Thank you for sharing.

Finn

Thanks Finn!  I don't know about solemn pride... more glad that the dumb thing isn't staring at me from my bench waiting to be finished.  That is not to say that I am not happy with how it turned out, but finishing knives is a strange thing for me.  Normally, I have a hard time overlooking the things that I could have done better, and so every knife I have made is always a study of what to do and what not to do next time.  I don't know that I will ever be completely satisfied.  I don't know what that says about me.  But I am really glad you like it and the compliment is humbling.

 

On 2/14/2019 at 8:46 PM, Raymond Richard said:

Well done!

Thank you Mr Richard, your compliments are always happily received.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Wes Detrick said:

I don't know that I will ever be completely satisfied.  I don't know what that says about me.

I think it says that you are a true craftsman, and anybody that owns one of your knives should consider themselves lucky.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful. Your work is always so precise; the photos look like they came out of a catalog. Awesome!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bar is already very high, now you raise it up even higher.  Way to go Wes, your work encourages us to be better knife makers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy shit Wes... how could you even sell that!? No way in hell could I ever part with that. Beautiful deadly bad ass looking work of art! Thank you for sharing this with all of us!!

Tom

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great job, Wes.  I especially like the way that you did the guard.  The copper and the acid blued steel really flow together.  Also, is that lizard leather that you inlayed into the sheath?

Brian, the way that I did the rust bluing is to suspend the part above muratic acid in a sealed container and allowed a layer of rust  to build up.  I then brushed it with a brass brush, a copper brush should also work, and returned it to the container to build up some more rust until I'm happy with the level of rust.  I then boil it in water to turn the part black.  Just remember that you're working with an acid and wear proper safety equipment.

There is another solution two parts of three are hydrogen peroxide and table salt.  I don't recall the third.  Maybe someone could supply the formula.  As I understand this solution speeds up the rust formation considerably.  Whichever solution that you use you will have to apply a resist to any part that you don't want to have rust form on.  That can be an etching resist from an arts supply house or clear fingernail polish on smaller parts.

Doug 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WOW!!!! That is a really gorgeous knife. There is not 1 thing that I don't like about it.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2019 at 8:59 AM, Jason McEntee said:

Beautiful. Your work is always so precise; the photos look like they came out of a catalog. Awesome!

Thank you Jason!  High praise indeed.  I try to do my best with precision, sometimes it works better than others.

 

On 2/16/2019 at 9:00 AM, John Myshkoff said:

The bar is already very high, now you raise it up even higher.  Way to go Wes, your work encourages us to be better knife makers.

Thank you John, I do appreciate the compliments and that is a very humbling statement.  I just do the best I can.

 

On 2/16/2019 at 12:03 PM, t cudworth said:

Holy shit Wes... how could you even sell that!? No way in hell could I ever part with that. Beautiful deadly bad ass looking work of art! Thank you for sharing this with all of us!!

Tom

lol Thanks Tom.  I tend to sent painfully high standards for myself that wind up being impossible to meet.  That doesn't change no matter how well the knife turns out, so the longer it sits around, the more I stare at it and pick it apart.  Better to get it out the door :)  This one is actually a gift for my brother, who is finishing his Masters this summer.

 

On 2/16/2019 at 3:14 PM, Doug Lester said:

Great job, Wes.  I especially like the way that you did the guard.  The copper and the acid blued steel really flow together.  Also, is that lizard leather that you inlayed into the sheath?

Brian, the way that I did the rust bluing is to suspend the part above muratic acid in a sealed container and allowed a layer of rust  to build up.  I then brushed it with a brass brush, a copper brush should also work, and returned it to the container to build up some more rust until I'm happy with the level of rust.  I then boil it in water to turn the part black.  Just remember that you're working with an acid and wear proper safety equipment.

There is another solution two parts of three are hydrogen peroxide and table salt.  I don't recall the third.  Maybe someone could supply the formula.  As I understand this solution speeds up the rust formation considerably.  Whichever solution that you use you will have to apply a resist to any part that you don't want to have rust form on.  That can be an etching resist from an arts supply house or clear fingernail polish on smaller parts.

Doug 

Thanks Doug!  I love rust blued steel, the texture and color check all of the boxes. 

I use the second method you mentioned to produce the rust blue.  It is very fast acting, like you mentioned.  I use black tea instead of water.  I have always had bad luck with straight water and I have no idea why.  Even tried distilled water and no luck.  

 

On 2/16/2019 at 3:47 PM, JASON VOLKERT said:

WOW!!!! That is a really gorgeous knife. There is not 1 thing that I don't like about it.  

Thanks Jason!  Glad you like it so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn Wes !! I musta been sleepin to miss this one, HELLA nice job !!............................:D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit late to this party but just to add my appreciation of this knife too. Great work Wes. Your brother will be chuffed to bits.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a very clean and attractive design and fitup.  Great work, Wes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2019 at 5:04 PM, Clifford Brewer said:

Damn Wes !! I musta been sleepin to miss this one, HELLA nice job !!............................:D

Thanks Cliff!  That is a might fine beard you have as well 

 

On 2/18/2019 at 1:08 AM, Charles du Preez said:

Bit late to this party but just to add my appreciation of this knife too. Great work Wes. Your brother will be chuffed to bits.

Thanks Charles, I really hope he likes it.

 

On 2/21/2019 at 9:00 AM, Salem Straub said:

That's a very clean and attractive design and fitup.  Great work, Wes!

Thanks a lot Salem.  I really enjoyed the fiddle bit fit up part.  When it wasnt pissing me off.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2019 at 3:17 PM, Wes Detrick said:

I really enjoyed the fiddle bit fit up part.  When it wasnt pissing me off.

Yeah, they do that from time to time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...