multiple questions

I got a few different questions about different things:

1. How do I make charcoal?(in small amounts)

Do I just stick a few logs into an airtight space, light them, and close the lid/shut the door, or wat?

2. Between Charcoal and Coal, what do you orefer as fuel? I have so much wood around its not even funny, so if someone tells me how to make chrcoal im set for. I also have some connection at a coal dock that I can scoop up 5 gallon buckets full of coal at. So what is more convenient?

3. Is there anything cheap I can make a furnace for making blooms in? I have done literaly no blacksmithing, but i still think it would be fun to make blooms and see if i can hammer them into metal.

4. What is the ideal thing for making blooms with? I can get tons of free mixed grade ore pellets from what falls off the convier belt at the ore docks, but (if i was going to make blooms) would it be better to go ahead and buy some magnetite sand?

5. Any particular grades of coal I should get if i end up doing coal? I have no clue about coal grades, but I can just tell the people at the coal dock what i want.

6. when you are hammer welding metal (dont know what thats called, so ill just call it hammer welding), how do you keep the metal from acting as a spring against your hammer?

7. If I end up making my own charcoal, would it be alright to have different types of wood for it?

thats all the questions I have, if you can answer any of them please do.

~ Joe

First try some simple Yahoo or Google searches.

Most of the blacksmiths in my area use No 3 Pocahontas coal for forging. If they can get it.

As to smelting, it seems that charcoal works a little better. There are plenty of sites found on Google for how-to-do-it. The Japanese think soft pine makes a better charcoal, hardwood seems to work okay for me.

Taconite pellets are just fine. Sand mixtures can rapidly turn into a slagmaker's dream.

Good luck.

First try some simple Yahoo or Google searches. 

Most of the blacksmiths in my area use No 3 Pocahontas coal for forging.  If they can get it. 

As to smelting, it seems that charcoal works a little better.  There are plenty of sites found on Google for how-to-do-it.  The Japanese think soft pine makes a better charcoal, hardwood seems to work okay for me. 

Taconite pellets are just fine.  Sand mixtures can rapidly turn into a slagmaker's dream. 

Good luck.

32884[/snapback]

Thanks for the tips, I'll check google out. (should have done that first, huh?)

1. quick way to make charcoal. light some wood and let it burn down to coals. Or get a steel bucket like a tar bucket with a metal lid. fill it with chunks, put the lid on and poke a 6 penny nail hole in the lid. Set it on a campfire and wait till the smoke stops comming out of the hole and remove from fire. Let cool for a day before removing the lid or it could catch fire and burn up the charcoal.

6. They call it forge welding.

7. Any wood will make charcoal.

There are a bunch of good makers up in MI. Try to fanagle a shop visit. I don't know where Delta county is, but the Muskegon/ Fruitport area is a Meca for Scagel style makers. There must be a dozen within a stones throw of each other. Too bad they stopped having the Scagel expos in August. What a great time in a magical place with great people. Here is a link to the last one with a list of a few of the makers that gave demos.

Scagel Expo.

Just my opinion,

I would say you are better off with char coal if you can make it for cheap, then make an LP (Ihave a great burner recipe that is easy and cheap) forge for when you are welding of heatreating (this is what I do ) I use good blacksmith coal cause I live in grand rapids near lots of blacksmith's so I get a huge bag of coal for 6 bucks. I prefer coal cause its sooo cheap and available. I prefer coal or char coal for general forging stuff then when i weld or heat treat I use LP so if yo can get good pocahontus coal then get it, but other wise dont waste to much time and money. coal and char coal are better for now as for a versitility and expense the only thing that is hard with the coal's is welding a billet, but I have welded cable with coal before. cheaper is the best.

Stoker coal wont work, so forget it.

I wouldnt even try to make a blume of steel but Iron which I m told is easyier can make some really swwet stuff (knife fittings) and you can sell wrought for some good change in MI too I would buy some if you got it. but lets forge a knife first ehh??

steel is a lot of skill, keep walking till you can run, you and me still arent potty trained. :D