Gary Mulkey

Designing a New Project

After the Little  Rock Show concluded this weekend, I was tired enough that I opted to  spend one more night in Arkansas before driving home.  Since I am now almost out  of daggers, I spent some of my time in the motel room designing my next.  Here's a rough sketch of a new damascus pattern that came to me at about 4 AM this morning.  It's  till very crude and may well segue into something different, but his gives me a direction to work toward.  It will be made from pieces of 42 x 4 "W" pattern damascus  separated by solid layers of 15N20.  I'm thinking that I may call this pattern "Braided W".

I picked up some great  mastodon ivory while at the show but I'm still deciding on whether to use it  on this one or  to opt for another handle material.  We'll see.  The hilt design for this dagger is still TBD.

Getting a new project like this to  come together is the fun stuff!  I love it!  :D

IMG_3535_opt

IMG_3539_opt

• Like 2

If I use this ivory, I'll probably do a renaissance style hilt something like this:

IMG_3543_opt

Sounds like a cool project. That ivory is beautiful. what do you plan on for the hardware on that dagger, Damascus?

3 hours ago, JASON VOLKERT said:

Sounds like a cool project. That ivory is beautiful. what do you plan on for the hardware on that dagger, Damascus?

I'll probably use 416.

• Like 1

This is going to be a good one for sure!!!

• Thanks 1

Liking it already......

• Thanks 1

Little Rock Show 2019:  (in the background you can see Nick Rossi & Tad Lynch)

2019 Little Rock Show_opt

• Like 1

Today started off as a perfect day for making steel as it was  cold & sunny.  As we are forecast to get a snow storm soon, I'm going to  knock off for the day.

I got the basic 42 x 4 "W' pattern welded and drawn out for tile cutting. 

IMG_3549_opt

IMG_3551_opt

IMG_3555_opt

I got a start on cutting the tiles for the can (canoe) mosaic in what I am going to call a braided "W". 

IMG_3561_opt

I realize that there are some voids inside of the canoe by doing it this way but I don't expect any big problems.  I'm sure that I will need to grind the top & bottom of the billet once welded though in order to get a symmetrical pattern.  The tiles are 3/4" of an inch thick so I have plenty of material to work with.

(I'm not sure if you can tell from the photo but I added two sacrificial wedges to the end of the canoe and painted them with whiteout.  These are only to aid in the welding of  the end of the billet and will get discarded.)

Edited by Gary Mulkey
  • Like 1

I managed to get the rest of the pieces cut for the canoe and welded today.  Unfortunately my white-out had gotten old and only did a marginal job.  I spent twice the normal amount of time removing the canoe from the billet.

I was wearing out by the time that I got the billet free from the canoe and didn't take the time to surface grind the billet past a 36 grit.  Here's a look at the pattern after a quick etch:

IMG_3582_opt

• Like 2

I had meeting that took up most of the morning but got in enough shop time to get this one rough forged & normalized and a start on making the round pommel.  This pommel will eventually get an inlaid piece of the blade steel on each side.

IMG_3583_opt

IMG_3589_opt

IMG_3592_opt

IMG_3596_opt

• Like 1

Flicker don't like me cuz I wont join and the feelin is mutual.....................

I like that you use unorthodox ways to hold stuff in your lathe.  You should see some of the weirdness I end up doing to chuck things up.  :lol:

• Thanks 1

OK now it will let me see the pics, cool !!!

Ah yes the good ol' bolt mandrel is a good quick and dirty set up.................B)

Edited by Clifford Brewer
I don' need no steenking reason !!!
  • Thanks 1

If it holds it holds... Gary probably thought ahhh what the heck lol.

• Thanks 1

I was forced into adapting the way I chucked up  the stainless for the pommel as my the chuck  on my little lathe wouldn't accept the 1 1/2" piece so I had to get creative.;)  Since I'm planning on adding a Damascus inlay on each side of the pommel, I needed a hole anyway to allow for a through pin to hold in inlays.  (When I say a through pin I mean that it will be more like a corby bolt that will be welded to each inlay.)

Edited by Gary Mulkey
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Gary Mulkey said:

I was forced into adapting the way I chucked up  the stainless for the pommel as my the chuck  on my little lathe wouldn't accept the 1 1/2" piece so I had to get creative.;)  Since I'm planning on adding a Damascus inlay on each side of the pommel, I needed a hole anyway to allow for a through pin to hold in inlays.  (When I say a through pin I mean that it will be more like a corby bolt that will be welded to each inlay.)

Good thinkin,' that is gonna look great when it's done..............B)

• Thanks 1

It was a perfect spring  like  day today & I got in some good work on my dagger.

For  the guard I opted to do stock removal  so  I  wouldn't have to worry about  annealing the stainless:

IMG_3605_opt

The six extra holes in the pommel are only for weight removal.  The plan is to add a damascus overlay of blade steel to  the center of  the pommel.  There's still  a lot of  shaping to  do on the guard but this should give you an idea of where I'm going  with it.  Eventually the guard will  slide farther forward but since I haven't done the H/T'ing or final grind on the blade, I  have  left the tang slot in the guard too narrow to slide in place so far.

IMG_3608_opt

In order to maintain the integrity of the pattern as  much as possible, I'm going  to grind the bevels into  this one but only after I have cut a fuller into  the center of  the blade.  I'm not 100% sure but I'm thinking of cutting a Spanish notch into both sides of the blade.  (I'm going  to sleep  on that one.)

IMG_3613_opt

Eventually there will be spacer between the guard & the handle scales as well as another between the scales & pommel.  (The scales are mastodon ivory)

IMG_3651_opt

Edited by Gary Mulkey
  • Like 1

That ivory is gorgeous! 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Conner Michaux said:

That ivory is gorgeous! 

Thanks.  Hopefully the finished knife  will match it.

Ooh, opposing Spanish Notches would be an interesting visual element!  I'd draw it first to see what I thought, though.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

Ooh, opposing Spanish Notches would be an interesting visual element!  I'd draw it first to see what I thought, though.

I've  a sketch book full of drawings and still unsure.:)

I'm so watchin this one  !!......................:D

13 hours ago, Gary Mulkey said:

I've  a sketch book full of drawings and still unsure.:)

That might be worth filing into a piece of sheet metal to see what it looks like in real life.

• Thanks 1