Sign in to follow this  
Matthew Parkinson

Damascus falchion

This was the sword I forged out at our hammer in last Nov, I got it roughed out for my class in AZ and finished it in time for the Arkansas knife show where it won an award forthe "best historically inspired". Normally I don't put to much stock in awards they are nice but often don't mean mucl. In this case however I find it means much more to me, as these awards are determined by the votes of table holders and only that. It means a lot more when it comes from your peers. Oh and the Damascus on this is the last of the billet I passed my performance test for mastersmith with..   coop pics to follow

IMG_20190216_112950.jpg

IMG_20190204_143601.jpg

IMG_20190206_192826.jpg

IMG_20190215_203541.jpg

IMG_20190206_192830.jpg

IMG_20190206_192834.jpg

IMG_20190204_143613_1.jpg

IMG_20190201_174802.jpg

IMG_20190206_192838.jpg

• Like 6

That''s a beautiful sword Mathew!    Congrats on the Award.   I like the sheath as well.   Simple, Functional, Elegant...

Congrats Matthew. That looks like a high quality sword that is meant to be worn and used.

Nice!  I like the little accent line that's almost but not quite a fuller.  Among everything else, of course!  

Congrats on the award. 

Thats a very elegant sword. I like how the bolder pattern of the guard and pommel contrast the finer pattern in the blade. 

That is a very cool sword, I can see how you got an award for it.

I love that the damascus blade is not that obvious when seen from a distance, but really shines in the close up pictures.

Just stunning. I've been a big fan of your swords for a while Matt.  I'm curious about the handle. Is it some sort of cordage wrapped in water tightened leather? or how did you achieve the effect? looks both comfortable and elegant. 

One of the things I appreciate about your handles is that they tend to be very functional looking. Very user friendly, as well as aesthetically pleasing. 

Thanks for sharing!

16 minutes ago, Ethan Kempf said:

I'm curious about the handle. Is it some sort of cordage wrapped in water tightened leather?

Matthew can elaborate when he gets in, but in the meantime, you can mosey on over to this thread. Matthew taught a class I attended in January.

That's a awesome sword right there.

Congrats on the award. 

10 hours ago, Ethan Kempf said:

Just stunning. I've been a big fan of your swords for a while Matt.  I'm curious about the handle. Is it some sort of cordage wrapped in water tightened leather? or how did you achieve the effect? looks both comfortable and elegant. 

One of the things I appreciate about your handles is that they tend to be very functional looking. Very user friendly, as well as aesthetically pleasing. 

Thanks for sharing!

I first learned this technique in this thread by Peter Johnsson with some needed correction in the two classes I have taken with Peter. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Matthew Parkinson said:

I first learned this technique in this thread by Peter Johnsson with some needed correction in the two classes I have taken with Peter. 

That thread is astounding. I just picked up my copy of Das Schwert today. 

25 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

That thread is astounding. I just picked up my copy of Das Schwert today. 

Everything about Peter is astounding. B)

21 hours ago, Ethan Kempf said:

Thanks for sharing!

3 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Everything about Peter is astounding.

I was looking back and it's hard to believe that that was almost 10 years ago. Looking back there was a LOT of just amazing things happening then... 

Also I got the coop photo back.. so much better than my crappy cell phone pics! Much love COOP! 

Parkinson_190216-wweb.jpg

Holy hell that is a beautiful sword.  Wonderful work and an inspiration.