Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

I am VERY VERY pleased with this!!

So after long awaiting for finances to work out for me, about 2 days or so ago I was able to make a purchase of a life time that I will probably never be able to make again for quite some time.  I went online to Ebay and ordered myself YES a 2x72 inch belt sander.  I bought DAS TOOBINATOR lmfao.  Funny name sorry.  But yes I will still continue to use my 2x48 that wasn't money wasted what so ever.  How ever  Now that I have a 2x72 I think I will be far better off from where I was before.  I'm still trying to figure out how to make the proper adjustments and what not I've still gotta fully seat the drive wheel onto the shaft of the motor.  And HOLY crapola is that motor flippin huge for a single phase motor.  This is one heavy duty grinder for an ebay buy.  I still have to make a bench for it but now I'm seeing the weight of it it's going to have to be one sturdy bench so that will be the shop project over the next day or so.  YES I'm thrilled.  No more saying I don't have a 2x72 lol.  Yes I even pre planned and ordered 2x72 belts the day I made this purchase.  I will know more how well I like this grinder once I actually start using it.   I was trying very very hard not to pre empt a post on this until I actually had it in my hands.  Now I do so the post was made.  Lol Fed Ex decided to show up right in the middle of working on video editing lol.

IMG_20190220_081835269.jpg

IMG_20190220_083441393.jpg

IMG_20190220_083434856.jpg

IMG_20190220_083427549.jpg

IMG_20190220_083331424.jpg

IMG_20190220_083454307.jpg

Edited by AndrewB

That will be a game-changer for sure!  Be warned, the learning curve is pretty steep on a one-speed grinder.  Watch your fingers, in other words. ;)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

That will be a game-changer for sure!  Be warned, the learning curve is pretty steep on a one-speed grinder.  Watch your fingers, in other words. ;)

I was very cautious even on my 2x48 lol never got my fingers near the belt had a close call with that one and accidentally hit my finger on the moving belt OPPS lol.  But luckily it just sanded some of my finger print off lol I was working on the blades cutting edge.  I am going to be running to the home depot here shortly to pick up some 2x4s to build a bench for that grinder.  It weights about 140 pounds all together lol.  So its a 2x4 bench.  It seemed like a worthy investment and I knew I was eventually going to need to buy one or build one.  So I just bought one and saved myself hours and money lol.  It shipped extremely fast.  It will definitely be a game changer for me big time and I think I will be much more happier grinding with this one than my 2x48 lol.  Seems like I got almost 2 of every tool I own now.  I'm also glad I pre empted and pre ordered the belts for it on the same day so I didn't have to wait for a few days after I got the machine set up.

Good for you! :D   Veeeery lucky.. I wont be able to afford for years.

For 2x72 belts I have heard that Combat Abrasives is the way to go, pretty decent prices too.

Congrats! That's going to be a fun tool! 

When I first got mine the hardest part was that I could no longer blame my lousy grinding skills on my machine :P

Awesome. 2x72 is deff a game changer

Thanks guys, so needless to say I started working on the bench for the grinder.  And wouldn't ya know it I wound up placing the pieces for the motor on the wrong danged side of the bench for the belt chassi.  TALK ABOUT FRUSTRATING.  Lol.  Gah.  Oh well.  But the bench for the chassie is done at least.  I just gotta re think the bench for the motor.  I'm only doing a bench big enough to fit the motor and belt chassie.  Since I have limited room inside my shed.  The thing weighs altogether about 100 pounds or so.  I built the bench out of 2x4s I guess that should be strong and sturdy enough.  I just wasn't expecting the electric motor to be as big as it was lmao.  Oh well.    At least I got the bench started for it.

Congrats Andy,

Those are great to have.   Watch your fingers,  always use P.P.E.  and have fun.     Just remember, belts break some times and that can be a fun BTM.  And once the belts are dull,  just save yourself the trouble and get new ones.   You'll just burn up your steel and your time otherwise.

Many jigs and contraptions have been made  to help with grinding,  and don't forget that forge scale is super hard, and will eat belts right up, so a vinegar dip or angle grinder will help save your belts.

Have Fun Man

I should be okay in the belt department for a bit.  I was actually doing that with my 2x48 belts ones they are used I throw them away after a certain point.  So I'll keep doing that with the 2x72 I got 12 belts for about 35 bucks so it wasn't too terrible if I can do that every other month or so I should probably be in the clear and good but I think I'm going to have to buy myself some belts for wood use only so I have a set for wood and a set for metal but I haven't quite made up my mind on that one just yet.

15 hours ago, AndrewB said:

ones they are used I throw them away after a certain point. 

I think I'm going to have to buy myself some belts for wood use only so I have a set for wood and a set for metal but I haven't quite made up my mind on that one just yet.

Hi Andy.  Have fun...

If you haven't run across this lately, regarding your belts, you'll soon hear someone say, "use 'em like they're free."  I'm not suggesting you can do this, but there is some truth to that.  Remember, as the belts dull, you have to press harder.  It's a lot easier to screw up a grind when you're pushing hard.  Also, friction causes heat, and when grinding a heat treated blade, eventually you can cross the line where you ruin the hardness.

Another good place to buy stuff it Pop's, but I heard that they just sold it so things may change, but so far things have looked good.

Instead of buying separate belts for wood, just use an older belt that's been dulled slightly by steel.  having a stiff scrub brush and scrubbing the wood dust off the belt keeps them functional for a lot longer.

I've heard that statement before I don't use belts all the time like they're free but I do use them if theyre worn down to a certain point I will use them for wood.  Not too huge of a deal and belts aren't that expensive so that's a bonus.  I've never even heard of pops is it local here to Washington?

9 hours ago, AndrewB said:

I've never even heard of pops is it local here to Washington?

No, they're down in the southeast somewhere.  It's called Pop's Knife Supply, and they have a website.  http://www.popsknifesupplies.com
Like I said, they have a good name in the Knifemaking world.

Edited by billyO

I usually just use true grit they are pretty decent on prices with belts.

Yeah Tru Grit is probably closer to you. Pop's was also just bought out by 4 knifemakers. I hear they are doing a good job with taking over so far.

Congrats!  A good 2x72 is a really nice thing to have - I never realized how nice until I got mine.  Save corks from wine bottles, I have found them to be useful when grinding - either in the role of a push stick or hot glued to a blade to act as a handle point to help evenly slide longer blades across the belt.  The big magnet I use for hogging steel has a handle that puts my hand too far away from the blade for finer, more delicate grinding and the cork handle gives me a better feel of what is going on.

I actually like true grit not to mention they are also fairly quick at getting things shipped out as well I ordered the belts the same day after I bought my grinder.  Needless to say lmao the belts beat the machine here and the machine came from hillsborough or which is only a 4 or 5 hour drive for me lol.  So no true grit is pretty good.  Plus in expensive.

9 hours ago, MikeDT said:

Save corks from wine bottles

I'll have to try that, thanks! I've been using a Teflon stick.

55 minutes ago, Joël Mercier said:

????? A teflon stick????

54 minutes ago, Joël Mercier said:

Watch how how the teflon gets.  At around 575F,  teflon puts off some fumes that are pretty dangerous.

I use a wood push stick when I am aggressively grinding, and it will get hot enough to start smoking from time to time :)

It's an automotive tool for removing trims. That's what I had on hand. 

I never let my steel get this hot but I'll try wood or cork. 

IMG_20190222_093511.jpg

I didm't even realize those existed lol.

11 hours ago, Cody Killgore said:

Yeah Tru Grit is probably closer to you. Pop's was also just bought out by 4 knifemakers. I hear they are doing a good job with taking over so far.

As a rank newbie, I hesitate to comment, but I talked to a gentleman at Pop's yesterday. He had an Australian accent, (I think), and was very nice. He said he was a knife maker and recommended belts to get me started and gave me a few pointers on how to get them to last longer. Pop's prices were better than Amazon in every case and I did not check further.

True grit I paid roughly 35 dollars I think I got 12 belts that was including the 9 dollar shipping cost that it takes for regular mail so yea that was a decent price and in expensive there are a lot of companies out there that will make there recommendations and even give you pointers.  Especially if they want to sell you a good product I always look for that  in a company before I buy something.