Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

I am VERY VERY pleased with this!!

Thanks for the suggestions, Andy.  I'd recommend trying different belts after you get a bit more experience.  I found that the belts I like are cheapest at Pop's,  but I suppose I should experiment again in case my preferences have changed as my grinding technique has no doubt changed in the past couple of years.

Try these guys  https://www.industrialabrasives.com/2-x-72-everlast-aluminum-oxide-sanding-belts-00151-p-468.html?zenid=jtuhpcfpk3fi79mqmj3suv36u6

They are not the best belts, (I buy high end ceramic 36-60 grits), but it's where I buy 100-400 grits.  Notice the " buy 12, get 12".  24 belts for the price of 12, and I've neverhad a problem with shipping

g

Those seem pretty pricey and way beyond my budget for belts.  Is that what you're using Geoff?

33 minutes ago, AndrewB said:

Those seem pretty pricey and way beyond my budget for belts.  Is that what you're using Geoff?

$2.14 per belt is pretty dang cheap.  

• Like 1

It comes out to about $2 per belt plus shipping.  Total for 24 belts is about $60.  I spend a lot more for the ceramics

g

Thanks Geoff.  I Use ceramics up to 100 grit, and then AO through 320 before I start hand sanding.  I was about out of AO belts, and you saved me a few bucks.  Their price on shop rolls is pretty good too.

Now if I could just get good ceramic belts less than $7 a pop :ph34r:

That may be worth a try out.  I actually have yet to use a ceramic belt even with my 2x48 I haven't used one.

Your 2x48 doesn't have the power or speed to use ceramics well, so that's a fine decision.  Your new powerful high-speed grinder does.  Ceramic belts need high speed and high pressure to keep cutting.  I don't use them much myself, but then I don't make my living on this either.  They are pretty awesome for hogging off steel in the lower grits.  The price is deceptive, because if you have the speed and pressure they like they last three or four times longer than AO belts.  It works out about the same in the end, pricewise, but faster and with fewer belt changes.

18 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

Your 2x48 doesn't have the power or speed to use ceramics well, so that's a fine decision.  Your new powerful high-speed grinder does.  Ceramic belts need high speed and high pressure to keep cutting.  I don't use them much myself, but then I don't make my living on this either.  They are pretty awesome for hogging off steel in the lower grits.  The price is deceptive, because if you have the speed and pressure they like they last three or four times longer than AO belts.  It works out about the same in the end, pricewise, but faster and with fewer belt changes.

I've honestly had very good luck with the 80 grit belts even on the 2x48 running them and removing quite a bit of material.   They worked quite well for me honestly.  I'm wondering if that will hold the same on the 2x72 if it will do a much much better job of it than the 2x48 at least I know the platen on the 2x72 is at least levelly flat.

Compared to what?  I find an 80 to be much less good at moving steel than 60, and 36 is my goto for shaping.  Each of the grit materials cut differently, even in the same grit, which is something else to think about

g

6 hours ago, Geoff Keyes said:

Notice the " buy 12, get 12".  24 belts for the price of 12, and I've never had a problem with shipping

g

Good to know.  Thanks for the info Geoff.

4 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Now if I could just get good ceramic belts less than $7 a pop

Trugrit has VSM 36grit ceramic for $5 and change and there great belts.

Edited by JASON VOLKERT
  • Thanks 1

I dunno but I for sure can't wait to get this sander up and running and try it out so can't wait.

Andrew, when im grinding,  i  crank the vfd up to the moon, wear sweats and a very loose t shirt and a hat with dangly tossels. Then, i select an overly worn out 36 with burn marks on it, i put one foot on the wall behind me, and without a face shield or respirator i push like im benching 315.

All kidding aside, im very excited for you! I remember that day for me, it was a complete 180! Very good advise already from everyone else, and i cant add much, just be safe, practice and have fun! A question tho, is there a spot on your grinder for adding a tool rest? And i often thought about modifying my bench mount in such a way, that i could rotate the whole grinder assembly 90 degrees? Not even sure what that would gain. 

Tom

I do not have a vfd controlled grinder

39 minutes ago, AndrewB said:

I do not have a vfd controlled grinder

...not yet anyway....;)

Edited by billyO

Nope not yet.  Not sure if a VFD box would even work for my grinder, unless I can hook a vfd into the power plug.   Still trying to figure out how exactly all that stuff works.  I'd like to get a VFD for it eventually I'm just not sure which one to get because I don't want to spend too much but I would also need to be able to plug it into a 120 volt plug plus have a 120 volt plug be able to plug into it from the power source.  I really don't want to have to do any wiring lol.

Edited by AndrewB

Update note, I also picked up the base plate for the toobinator this morning so that should be here in a few days hopefully.  I was thinking better safer than sorry in the long run on it.

4 minutes ago, SteveShimanek said:

Beware the creeping Tool Addiction!

Eh lmfao it's already hit me.  No big deal.  Some tools I have to buy for the house and some I buy for the hobby.  Sadly I wont be able to afford a mill or a lathe.  Those are wish items yet but I will probably never see either or lol.  But I'm glad I was able to get the belt sander when I could.

18 hours ago, JASON VOLKERT said:

Trugrit has VSM 36grit ceramic for $5 and change and there great belts.

I honestly never had an issue grinding metal with 50 to 80 grit belts to do most of my rough sanding after the forging process.  I'm quite comfortable with those they remove plenty of metal for what I need with less risk of stuff flying off the belt lol.

I admit I rarely use 36 grit anymore.  I get tired of wearing the steel wool.... :ph34r: Plus it's way too easy to get a really deep scratch that just won't go away. 

30 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

I admit I rarely use 36 grit anymore.  I get tired of wearing the steel wool.... :ph34r: Plus it's way too easy to get a really deep scratch that just won't go away. 

That’s why I just kept using the 50 to 80 grit belts for the primary sanding.  Even at that grit they worked very very well for me and removed quit a bit of metal in a few passes over the belt.

I just thought of this. Usually you use gloves when your using 35-100 grit belts On a 1-3Hp 2x72 right?? So what would you need to use to protect your fingers from a 35-1000 grit belt on one of them 25Hp belt grinders?.....also why would any human want to get there fingers close to one of those...

Gloves are a no no with belt sanders they can get caught in moving parts and cause some serious injuries to your hands.  As far as sanding your finger tips off you just have to be mindful of where your hands are in relationship to the very fast moving belt.