Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

I am VERY VERY pleased with this!!

MY BELT SANDER LIVES... I still gotta play with the tracking a little bit but Im way beyond impressed with how quiet this thing is for how big the motor isl.  JUST WOW!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

That, sir, is a grinder!

It definitely is although I'm still puzzled as to why the belt wants seem to walk off the platen like it's doing.  Not sure why it is doing that.  I can adjust the tracking but I could only assume that maybe it's because I dont have the platen up against the belt supporting it.  The belt is basically free hanging as it is at the moment.   But even still I'm pleasantly impressed with how danged quiet that motor is when it's running.  Although when I turn it on lol the lights in the shed flicker LMAO.

1 minute ago, Cody Killgore said:

You sure the platen is in line with the drive and idler wheels? May have to shim it over if not. 

I may have to move the chassies over just a bit to align with it, that may very well be the issue lol welp I'm gonna have to unbolt it lol.  That's easy though.  I've got it secured to the bench with lag screws lol.  They hold pretty tight though at least.

For proper tracking the belt needs to be touching the platen, so yeah, you may need to shim it forward a bit.  Also, the belt tension needs to be pretty high or tracking suffers.  The top slack part between the platen and the tracking wheel should twang like a guitar string when plucked.

Okay I'll have to toy around with it a bit more tomorrow afternoon after it warms up.  But I'm just happy I got the thing up and running.  At least I know it works lol.  Rather than wind up getting a lemon that doesn't.

Edited by AndrewB

4 minutes ago, Zeb Camper said:

Looks good!

I guess I gotta make one of these... 

If I had the better skills of crafting I would of made my own I just opted to buy it.  The frame on this one though seems like it would be quite easy to piece together.

There's no shame in buying! If I had the money I would. Don't regret it; you'll have it forever. You did good! 

I figure I can buy wheels and a belt to map out all the wheel locations and make the frame to intersect those points out of scrap. Still should cost around $700 motor and all. 

When Andy was talking about the tracking, I assumed he meant that the belt was tracked to the right off the edge of the platen half an inch or so. It appears that the belt is mostly centered on the drive and tracking wheels while pretty far off on the platen. Which makes me think that, for some reason, the platen is not in line with the other wheels.

It appears there is already a spacer between the platen attachment and the tooling arm. But might have to add some more shim to get those idler wheels in line with the others (if they aren't). You can get a long straight edge and put it up against the outside edge of the wheels and see if they are all lined up.

I am assuming you turned the tracking knob and tried to move the belt over.

Edited by Cody Killgore

7 minutes ago, Cody Killgore said:

When Andy was talking about the tracking, I assumed he meant that the belt was tracked to the right off the edge of the platen half an inch or so. It appears that the belt is mostly centered on the drive and tracking wheels while pretty far off on the platen. Which makes me think that, for some reason, the platen is not in line with the other wheels.

It appears there is already a spacer between the platen attachment and the tooling arm. But might have to add some more shim to get those idler wheels in line with the others (if they aren't). You can get a long straight edge and put it up against the outside edge of the wheels and see if they are all lined up.

I am assuming you turned the tracking knob and tried to move the belt over.

Yea I’ve already tried the tracking knob lol I’m going to adjust the platen first before I go unbolting everything

So I ran it again I think I got the tracking down a bit more but I don't think my motor is down tight enough so I'm going to have to take out the screws that came with it and secure it with another lag bolt since it's wanting to wobble a bit while running.  But I think it's looking optomistic at this point since I figured the tracking seems a bit off still though.  I may have to put a couple of shims under the base plate as well because the motor is the wobbly item not the chassie but the wobbling motor is causing the belt to shake so I've gotta figure out exactly how to mitigate that problem entirely.  Looks like I might do some forging this afternoon.

Edited by AndrewB

Looks to me like the issue is in the tracking wheel.  When mine was doing that it was because the bearings were going bad, but it could be a loose bolt in the assembly as well.  Or a bent axle.  Or even not enough tension.  Hard to diagnose remotely.  You still need to slide the platen forward until it's touching the belt, too.  

59 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

Looks to me like the issue is in the tracking wheel.  When mine was doing that it was because the bearings were going bad, but it could be a loose bolt in the assembly as well.  Or a bent axle.  Or even not enough tension.  Hard to diagnose remotely.  You still need to slide the platen forward until it's touching the belt, too.  

Yea I don't have a wrench that will fit those bolts so I gotta go pick one up I hope it's not the drive wheel or shaft that's screwed up.  I can't really afford to buy another motor lol.  The belt also sits pretty tightly on the machine up against the wheels I can pluck it almost like a sort of loose guitar string.

Edited by AndrewB

It should sound like a tight guitar (or bass if you pluck the longer runs) string.  I set the tension (although a KMG is a bit different with an adjustible spring) by pushing the tension arm all the way down with belt installed, then while holding the arm down I slide the tooling arm (platen, wheel, etc) to hold the belt as tight as I can and lock it down, then release the tension arm.  You should only be able to deflect the belt about an inch on the run between the tracking wheel and the platen or it's not tight enough.  

Always release the tension whan you're done for the day, of course.  And when using a new belt, retighten it after the first few minutes of grinding, they do stretch a bit.

And remember not to turn it on with an untensioned belt strung.  I do that about once a month.:rolleyes:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

It should sound like a tight guitar (or bass if you pluck the longer runs) string.  I set the tension (although a KMG is a bit different with an adjustible spring) by pushing the tension arm all the way down with belt installed, then while holding the arm down I slide the tooling arm (platen, wheel, etc) to hold the belt as tight as I can and lock it down, then release the tension arm.  You should only be able to deflect the belt about an inch on the run between the tracking wheel and the platen or it's not tight enough.  

Always release the tension whan you're done for the day, of course.  And when using a new belt, retighten it after the first few minutes of grinding, they do stretch a bit.

And remember not to turn it on with an untensioned belt strung.  I do that about once a month.:rolleyes:

I'd have to say more like a base guitar and yes I use to play guitars lol.  Base strings can be pretty tight but they are still quite loose.  But that would be what the belt feels like mostly.  I'm wondering if actually adjusting the platen more and pulling that out the entire platen rig and tighten that down because the platen is adjustable that way as well.  I can slide it in and out of the main body.

No doubt that the platen needs to be moved up until its touching the belt if you plan to do any grinding on it. But, if it won't track without it, it's not going to track with it either. 

The belt wobble is not desirable. Have you tried a different belt just to see if it's a bad belt? 

Also, you shouldn't have to track the belt that far to the left just to get it to line up with the platen. 

Yea I've got a TON of belts lmfao I can throw on another one I'm just doing computer work at the moment editing server files.  So much fun lmfao.  I gotta make a couple belt racks to hang all of them up on my shed wall lol.

Edited by AndrewB

Also, check to see I'd there is any side-to-side play in the top tracking wheel. The bolt should be tightened just to the point where theres no play anymore. 

I did check the bolts while I was out there earlier and they didn't seem to move they seemed pretty snug and tight.

Hey Andy,

That wobble in the vid looks to be the bottom tracking wheel, at least on video, don't think there is anything wrong with your motor.  I would take all tracking wheels off and check the bearings and alignment.   They may just be seated wrong  or something else weird.   The bottom one looks suspicious, it looked a little wobbly in the first vid,  maybe possible, they are not perfectly aligned, could be a loose bolt.   You can also check all the frame bolts and make sure the frame is rigid, especially in the main arm.  Any wiggle can turn into a wobble elsewhere.    Not likely, but you could also check the motor alignment, the main roller should be in-line and not offset in anyway, with the belt tracking rollers and the motor must be secured well.  Should be a sweet machine once you get it tuned...

Edited by Bruno

Yea I'm going to be unbolting everything today the screws that came with the base plate didn't work that well for locking the motor down so I'm going to be re doing that with lag bolts I got the other day.  I don't have wrenches at the moment that will fit those bolts on that machine so I have to buy a new set of wrenches lmao I needed a new set anyway.  So before I can do any playing with the machine like that gotta have the proper tools for the job.

Now I'm honestly starting to think that there is something wrong with the motor at this point.  I don't know whats going on I'm starting to get frustrated.  But at least I have my 2x48 for back up.

What makes you think it is the motor? To me that kind of vibration seems more related to one of the wheels. In both of your videos the drive wheel (on the motor) looks rock solid (you cant tell it's even spinning because there is no movement). I don't really get a great look at all the other wheels. I agree with Cody above and I think you also need to shift your platen so the belt is in line with the drive wheel, in both videos it looks to me that the platen is at least 3/8" to the left compared to the drive wheel. The belt should be centered on all wheels at the same time. just some thoughts.