Sign in to follow this  
Cody Killgore

Good Source of Larger Blade Steel?

Lately, I've been wanting to work on integrals and larger knives. With the addition of my rolling mill I built a few months ago, getting nice flat bar stock out of larger round/square stock is easier than ever and having larger stock gives me the freedom to make whatever size/configuration blade I want.

The problem I'm having is locating a good source of larger stock (preferably round). I have a little bit of Don Hanson W2, I have a few nice 52100 roller bearings, and I have a little bit of 1.2" round cruforge v. All of those sources are dried up now.

I can buy some drill rod O1 and W1 online through regular steel suppliers but I'm a little worried on the quality of the steel and where in the spec range they fall.

So... I'm wondering if anyone has a good source or even if you've bought some O1/W1 drill rod from somewhere and have had good success with it. Basically I'm looking for a place to purchase some 1.25" - 1.5" round bar. Maybe there's a source I've just missed?

Edited by Cody Killgore

I've had good results with W-1 drill rod from MSCDirect.  It's made in the USA, and not too expensive for what it is.  The W-1 / O-1 drill rod from Fastenal is imported.

• Like 1

Thanks Alan. I may give MSC a try.

I guess the other option is to start making a lot more stuff out of damascus :lol:

I wish there was a good source of W2 round bar.

Edited by Cody Killgore

I've used Hudson Tool Steel for industrial applications:

(https://www.hudsontoolsteel.com)

Not insanely cheap, but I like the data they give with it.

Edited to add: I don't see W2 on a cursory glance, but W1 and O1 are there.

Edited by AJ Chalifoux

Could always weld a bunch of flat bar together... Might get some faint weld lines, but if you soak for a good while in a reducing atmosphere it should help get rid of bright lines. 

Edited by Zeb Camper

Yeah, I do want to avoid those lines. That's also a lot of extra work just to get some usable stock. Always a possibility but I feel like if I was going to crank up the welding forge, it'd be just as easy to just make damascus.