Noah M Legel

My First Bowie, The Bear Slayer

I finished up my first bowie, today. I forwarded the blade out of reclaimed truck leaf spring, the guard is a solid chunk of brass, with two letter washer sandwiching a brass washer between the guard and the stag antler crown that makes up the grip. It ended up being very comfortable. 

There's actually bit of story behind this one. Back when I was 16, and started getting interested in bladesmithing end knife-making, in general, I had been discussing it with my best friend at his house. His dad had actually made some knives out of old files, when he was younger, and had been giving his input. We ended up talking about the kind of knife he would like to have hand-forged  one day, and he said it would be a simple, large bowie with a brass guard and a stag handle. He is a big hunter, and has the dream of someday going bow hunting for bear, and he said that he would want a knife like this by his side for that. He figured that if the arrow didn't kill the bear, and the bear came after him, it was only fair to fight it, and if that's how he went out, he was fine with that  :P

20190224_160944.jpg

• Like 3

Nicely done and a great story too! Where in PHX are you?

Edited by Joshua States

2 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Nicely done and a great story too! Where in PHX are you?

Thanks! And near Metrocenter, although I work closer to downtown, and we are looking at land out in AJ