Ron Benson

Belt grinder stand?

My OBM grinder arrived yesterday, so I can build a stand for it now. However, I'm looking for advice on what makes a good stand.

I assume the tool rest should be at a comfortable working height?

Should I include a shelf for a water bucket, and if so, should it be to the side or under the belt?

Would being over sized be helpful? I could set blades in progress or tools on it. Maybe on one end of a larger bench would be better?

Anything else I should be aware of?

I have a fairly complete set of woodworking equipment, but it's in a relative's barn, and I am waiting for him to have time to bring the equipment to me, so I only have a chop saw and a circular saw at the moment.

Thanx ~ Ron

I'm mounting mine to an old kitchen counter top that was turned into a bench and has wheels.  But I'm using lag bolts to bolt everything into it.  Does it have a base plate?  You could actually mount it right to a bench and depending how tall you are usually that's a good height for grinding.  Mine sits at a perfect height here how I'm mounting mine for an example.  I took that yesterday.  Your grinder may look different than mine but if you have a base plate you could do something similar to this.

IMG_20190227_135458903.jpg

I made mine out of steel. It is on rollers so I can move it out of the way. You have to chock the wheels if you apply a lot of pressure. A bucket under the belt is nice, but probably not necessary. I like the shelves for tool storage. The sheet metal in the front protects the shelves.

CAB69097-E5A7-4EBC-87B3-B7382D8BAC97.jpeg

Edited by Bill Kirkley

I build most of mine out of 4x4's and 2x4's. I've got 1 metal stand I welded up out of tubing for one and put normal casters on... drives me nuts because it's always moving around

So I started to put these retractable casters from rockler on my wooden ones. Works really well. https://www.rockler.com/rockler-workbench-caster-kit-4-pack

I just bought a set a few weeks ago in prep for another grinder bench and now I'm seeing they are on sale....ugh...

IMO, the best working height is where you can lock your elbows in your sides and go out comfortably with your hands (probably close to belly button height). This way your arms are anchored and you can move your body back and forth. Gives you more stability...especially for freehand grinding.

Having a bucket underneath is handy for dipping and will keep you from building up a pile of steel wool at your feet.

Size is up to you. I don't like keeping much stuff on my grinder bench because it gets covered in dust pretty quickly.

Edited by Cody Killgore

3 hours ago, Cody Killgore said:

IMO, the best working height is where you can lock your elbows in your sides and go out comfortably with your hands (probably close to belly button height). This way your arms are anchored and you can move your body back and forth. Gives you more stability...especially for freehand grinding.

Having a bucket underneath is handy for dipping and will keep you from building up a pile of steel wool at your feet.

This.  My bucket sits on a stack of 4" cinderblocks laid flat so it's right below the bottom wheel of the platen.

Thanx all for the comments - keep 'em coming. :) 

Alan - that's what I assumed the height should be, and that's about 43" for me. I'm planning on a wood frame with 4" X 4" legs and 2" X 4" horizontals. I will make one shelf that extends under the platen at the proper height for a bucket. It will probably have one additional shelf to gather junk and sanding dust. :rolleyes:

Cody - I like those casters, and I have a $50 gift cert. from Rockler's.

My stands are not quite a success so I won't make suggestions....

But......I have a question that might complicate yours..... :lol:

I was fully intending to build a stand with hinges that would allow you to flip the grinder on its side.

Turns out it was too complicated and I needed to stop setting up shop and start working....

Any potential problems doing this? Tracking maybe? 

Posted (edited)

Gerhard - I have thought about doing that. It wouldn't be hard to do with a hinge on the mounting plate, you could easily turn the grinder and motor 90*. I do wonder about stability  of the hinge though. And since I have zero experience using a 2 X 72 grinder, I don't know what the advantage would be. I do know the crappy little 2 X 42 grinder I have had for some time is a pain to use.

For now, I'm just going to bolt the grinder and motor to a 3/4" plywood base and mount that on some legs. I sure do wish I had my tablesaw available. That would make construction much easier and probably more accurate.

Edited by Ron Benson

I recently posted about this so I have pictures. I mounted mine on a hinge and it seems very stable. Sounds like you and I have very similar designs in mind. I don’t have a picture of the entire thing but here is what I have.

C020E40B-9844-4FA9-B230-9B24B14F879B.jpeg

most of the time I use the other side for my bandsaw. But if I want to use it as a horizontal grinder I move the bandsaw and flip it on its side with that piano hinge.

C377DC13-AE55-4B5C-BBA1-DD36D89A0FFC.jpeg

the only thing I don’t like is how to keep it there. Right now I use a block of wood cut at the right length to support it and horizontal. 

I originally had a bucket that attached to the bench under the platen. But it got in the way so now I just set a bucket of water on the five gallon bucket you can see at the bottom right of the second picture.

hope that helps!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanx again all. I finished the stand today except I'm going to put some polyurethane on the top and the shelf just to make cleaning easier. It's a bit on the heavy side, so I won't mount the grinder until I have gotten all the woodworking tools from my cousin. That way I will be able to put the stand where it will, (hopefully), stay.

Ron

P_20190305_132827_HDR.jpg

P_20190305_132929_HDR.jpg

Edited by Ron Benson
  • Thanks 1