Sign in to follow this  
Zeb Camper

New power hammer design/possible WIP

Hey guys! What you thank?

The idea is a (semi) free swinging helve that strikes level. Different top dies could be used as well as hardy tools. A lightweight hammer that strikes fast is what I had in mind. Something you could take the anvil off and throw it in your truck. Simplicity and toughness is what I'm after.

20190304_203716.jpg

• Like 1

I have never built 1 before but that looks real cool!

Posted (edited)

Interesting concept, though lots of moving parts can sometimes mean lots of issues to deal with.

I wouldn't mind seeing a working three D schematic on this one for enlightenment on it's operation........................B)

Edited by Clifford Brewer

Posted (edited)

If it were me I would use an eccentric bearing like this one. This particular one goes to a claas combine. I just think you can get it to run faster using one.

shaker-shoe-eccentric-wobble-drive-619480-claas.jpg

Edited by Jeremy Blohm
  • Like 1

I'm guessing that goes on the cam shaft and attaches to the rod that pushes the hammer? 

Might should just forget about the hammer dropping level and do a single beam. K.I.S.S.

They make for better drawing hammers because there is only one place in the stroke where the dies are parallel.  It looks like the bottom one uses a piece of RR track as the helve.

It always gives me a sad smile to see the JYH vid.  Neither Jack or Grant are with us any more.

Geoff

I think this is called a cricket, this is a foot powered version

2815959222_9411a17658_z.jpg

Thanks for all that Geoff! 

I might just make a single beam like that little giant one. I'm after something easy to build that will wear really well. My current hammer I wish I had done differently. It runs fine (other than the motor being too fast) but all the wear parts are kind of dinky. I'll need to scrap it or rebuild it. 

Like I said, the whole point of this one is for moving metal fast, ease of manufacture, to be lightweight, and to be darn near indestructible. 

11 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

I'm guessing that goes on the cam shaft and attaches to the rod that pushes the hammer? 

This would be mounted on a shaft between 2 pillow block bearings. The pillow blocks would be bolted to the frame of the hammer and a pulley on the end of the shaft with a V-belt to the motor. If I was a better artist I would draw a diagram but I think my 7 year old son could do a better illustration than me.

When I worked maintenance in a green bean canning plant we used eccentric bearings like this that ran a series of shakers and I have to say the can take some abuse and run like hell.

GHB-A-8841.jpg This particular type bearing I believe has to be ran in tandem with another just like it. I'm not sure why but I remember something about it being required for this type bearing.

The other one I pictured is quite a bit bigger and I think has quite a bit longer of a stroke and is used to run the knives kn a big combine like this one.download (11).jpeg

On 3/4/2019 at 6:52 PM, Zeb Camper said:

Here's where I got the spring idea. The idea of the 2 arms is to have the hammer drop level. Not much to it. 

https://youtu.be/-tPTLwmxsWc

Head slap !!  Grant Sarver's original junk yard hammer, I had forgotten that one  !!

Here is a much simpler design after numerous other overthought designs. 

20190307_202052.jpg

Oops! Thanks Geoff! 

Here's a better idea as to how I'm seeing it. Maybe use the spare anvil, maybe not. I have it so it seems like the obvious choice. 

The drawing doesn't show any bracing or the treadle thingy but I plan for them. 

So I need a couple pieces of 2×2 square tube, couple strips of UHMW, 3 pillow bearings, 1 leaf spring, 5 bronze sleeve bearings, 1 inch square tubing, a motor, drive wheel, crank plate, belt pullies, buncha junk for the frame bolts and something for an anvil.... 

20190307_211223.jpg

You might also find some interesting design ideas here

Geoff