Ross Vosloo

2x72 DIY for under $350

Posted (edited)

Hi all 

So, I've just gone full time. That means my time is more precious than it was before. So my 1x30, as good as it's been, just ain't gonna cut it any more. 

Now, the biggest problem with buying a 2x72 is of course the price. AMKs option, which is about the best bang for buck, still comes in at $1400, and that's before I pay for shipping and customs to get to Zimbabwe. 

So that's why I built my own. So here's how I turned this

20190222_172024.jpg

Into this. And all for less than $350!

20190304_170124.jpg

So, we start with the frame. This was made out of 50x50x2mm square tube. Weld it up into this frame shape. The two lateral tubes will each hold an arm, on the attachment arm, one for the work rest. The vertical tube is for the tracking arm.

20190222_180733.jpg

20190222_183734.jpg

More to come...

Edited by Ross Vosloo
  • Like 2

Not sure which is more impressive......the grinder built or the full time part.....

Well done Ross!

What Gerhard said. It takes balls of untempered W2 to do that. I wish you good success!

• Haha 1

Awesome! I've got to do this someday. And I have to suggest you temper those balls of w2... The first thing that popped in my head when I read that was "brittle balls" :lol: 

Cant wait to see it done! And good luck on the full time deal!

@Zeb Camper you surprise me Zeb ;). Don't you know the core will be soft? No need to temper.

• Haha 1

If I do something like that for my 2x48 grinder but I’d probably use the 3/8 inch thick square tubes. If you go with 3/8 not sure what that is in meteoric but that might work a bit better and be a lot stronger.

4 hours ago, AndrewB said:

If I do something like that for my 2x48 grinder but I’d probably use the 3/8 inch thick square tubes. If you go with 3/8 not sure what that is in meteoric but that might work a bit better and be a lot stronger.

That's about 9mm thick. Yes, that would be much better and stronger. If you can get it, use it. Unfortunately the thickest I could get locally was 2mm. Thankfully after running it for a day it's all holding up super well and nice and stable and stout. 

21 hours ago, Gerhard Gerber said:

Not sure which is more impressive......the grinder built or the full time part.....

Well done Ross!

Thanks boet. 

16 hours ago, Joël Mercier said:

What Gerhard said. It takes balls of untempered W2 to do that. I wish you good success!

I wish they were! Then I would have a source of W2!! :D

15 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

Awesome! I've got to do this someday. And I have to suggest you temper those balls of w2... The first thing that popped in my head when I read that was "brittle balls" :lol: 

Cant wait to see it done! And good luck on the full time deal!

Knowing me they would be differentially hardened with hamon ;)