stryder

Browning a knife with scales

Posted (edited)

Hello all; 

Is there a way to brown ( I like browning better than bluing) a knife that already has scales attached??

Blade is SS I think, have not got it yet.

Any help is appreciated!!

G George

Edited by stryder
alert me button

Plumb Brown  p_167000002_1.jpg?yocs=p_&yoloc=ushttps://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/blackening-browning/plum-brown-prod24772.aspx

Works the same way as bluing the advantage is if the finish gets a scratch it rusts back in the scratch. Most folks do not realize bluing and browning are both a rusting process!! The chemical causes a rust and then polishing with 000 steel wool and do it over and over again till the finished product shows no signs of the real rust caused by the chemical!! Just blue or brown!

It will not work on stainless steel, at least not the way it's supposed to.

I prefer Laurel Mountain Forge barrel brown and degreaser to the Birchwood-Casey stuff, but as Joel said, a stainless blade will not react to any brownimg solution.  Because it's, well, stainless, after all. ;)

Thanks Guys, I bought a Tracker blade made by bear & buck knives, it has not been delivered yet, looks like SS but not sure.

I saw a guy on you tube who blued SS ."so he said he knew the way to do it".

I have a bottle of the Birchwood plum brown I used on a black powder barrel, wondered if there was a way to color the steel without taking the heat treat away or dismantleing the knife and going through the steps to make it right again.

Thanks for your replies!!

G George

Pic's of said knife.

G george

Tracker.jpg

Tracker 3.jpg

Tracker 1.jpg

A quick look at their website leads me to believe that this knife is probably 440C.  Just to have that extra bit of info out there.  The one tracker model (mono-steel) that I found on their site that wasn't 440C was made from D2 and it said D2 on the blade.  Several knives were listed as 440C though.  

There are two ways to blue or brown stainless: heat and paint.  I include bake-on things like Cerakote as paint, because tbey eventually wear off.

Thank's again!

I dislike shiny things in the woods, guess I will have to deal with it.

I read their website also as why I put that I thought it was SS, to shiny to be high carbon I thought.

G george

15 hours ago, stryder said:

to shiny to be high carbon I thought

In my experience, this isn't a thing.  

• Like 1

There are chemicals for "Blackening" stainless.  Look for "tool black solution for stainless steel"

I have used them on 304 and 316 steels, and find they create more of a light grey than a black.  400 series steels might get a little blacker, but I wouldn't expect anything as pleasing looking as a nice plumb brown, or a real gun blue.

However, if your only concern is knocking down the shine, it may be what you are after.

Posted (edited)

Thank You Gentlemen; Mr. Dougherty, that is exactly the ticket.

Just to knock the shine down without having to disassemble.

Not bad for $18.50 huh?!

Thanks G George

Edited by stryder