Sign in to follow this  
Cody Killgore

Anybody Recognize This Rotary Burr?

Hey guys, 

I've found this little Burr to be my favorite for hogging out holes in different handle materials and spacers for handles. 

Ive used and abused this thing quite a bit. Even overheated it once or twice as you can tell by the straw color. I really like the way it cuts and I started to search online to try and find a source to see if I could find some in a few different sizes. Well, I've found absolutely nothing. Wanted to see if someone recognized the logo or the way it's cut. It appears to be a 3 flute tapered end mill type of cutter but it's got some other cuts on it that seem to make it a bit more aggressive. I got this from a doctor. It was part of a lot of really long rotary burrs that were supposedly meant for brain surgery (I think). There's a bunch of round ball burrs and such in the lot but this was the only one like this. 

20190306_133927-1612x1209.jpg

20190306_134002-1612x1209.jpg

Might be hard to make out but there is a small bird logo and it says GRE-1S Lot 333628

20190306_135057.jpg

Yeah, it looks like a craniotomy burr.   It's similar to these:

https://www.acracut.com/images/pdf/craniotomy.pdf

You're going to have a hard time finding those on the open market, and they are quite expensive in their native habitat.  I have been amazed at how many surgical tools you can find on ebay these days, so you might get lucky there.

I've never worked close with neurosurgeons,  but you totally just made me think I need to ask the orthopedic surgeon I work with all the time if he has any suggestions considering all the antler and bone I use...

Try double cut or diamond cut drills which are similar.

Posted (edited)

I didn't pay anything for these. It was my understanding that the "expiration date" had passed and couldn't be used anymore. 

I've tried double cut and diamond cut and they just don't work as well (for me). Which is why I was looking for these. Guess I'll just keep using this one until I can come across some more. A cursory search online on my phone doesn't come up with anything for sale. :(

Edited by Cody Killgore