Richard Barrett

Knife modifications help?

All. 

I've brought a Condor Hudson Bay knife and wish to modify it a bit better for throwing Mountain man style. There is a You-Tube clip of one having been UNDERTAKEN , but not how. I have a wet grind wheel and a harsher non wet wheel. I'm a very non tech, non do it yourself person and would just like a guide how to start and get it right. The chap on the Tube has made the knife sharper than thiner at the front by taking the start taper further back. I'm sorry I  don't know the exact terms, but maybe someone will put me right. Hope it all makes sense, but now in my late 60s and having cancer I'm having a go at things I've never done before.

Thanks again. Rich. UK.

Hi Richard, I can tell you what little I know about Condor products. The temper is drawn back on all the ones I've handled and worked with to the point that they should be suitable for throwing. None of them hold an edge particularly well but that should be a plus for a thrower as it indicates a lower edge hardness which could cause chipping when subjected to impact forces. The thinning you refer to is called "back grinding", meaning you are narrowing the angle of the primary edge bevel. I would not do this to a knife I intended to throw. Having a thicker, more robust edge geometry, particularly at the tip, will make the tool stand up to the impact forces better. Wet grinding will be a safe bet and even some dry grinding provided you don't get too hot. Don't wear gloves while grinding. When the metal gets too hot for your finger tips to hold comfortably give it a dip in water before you continue grinding. It will become too hot to hold long before you reach the temperature that would affect the temper.

That's Brilliant Michael thanks. If I do the back grinding I'll just use a hand file and take my time doing it. I know you're right about the thicker more robust edge, it's just getting it slightly thinner will make it stick in better according to the guys  that throw them. I'll go steady thanks again my friend. Pat Minter a well known thrower is doing just that on one You-Tube clip.

8 hours ago, Richard Barrett said:

I'm sorry I  don't know the exact terms, but maybe someone will put me right

I think you mean the false edge that starts at the tip and runs back the spine a little bit?

Jeremy.

False edge is exactly what I mean, he took that back about an inch so he could thin it better to stick in.  Thanks, steep learning curve for me.