Sign in to follow this  
Garry Keown

This weeks work

Have this one ready to ship off. A Buffalo Skinner in 12C27 stainless with curve backed buffalo horn bolster with black walnut handles. Normally I do these in 1095 HC but this was a special order in the stainless There are another 10 knives ready for final shaping but the buff skinner had been on hold whiles I waited on the thicker stainless to come in so I got it ready first and had done the sheath when I did the last batch.

V13I1Pvl.jpg

• Like 2

Liking this one Garry. How did you do the HT? That black walnut has a lovely figure.

2 hours ago, Charles du Preez said:

Liking this one Garry. How did you do the HT? That black walnut has a lovely figure.

For all my 12C27 knives, I put the blade in a stainless foil packet after dusting it with talcum powder. I make my packets long and can get three uses from them as I cut the end seam of after each use. Harden them at 1950F for 5 minutes and then cool between one inch alloy plates in a carpenters vice set vertically then temper at 350F for 2 hours 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

That's worth a bit of gold there, Garry. B)

• Like 1

This is the rest of the batch I was working on. Nothing particularly outstanding among them with two 5 1/2 inch chef's and two boners being the grooms gifts for the wedding party and the mini skinner is my gift to the owner of the property where I have hunting access.  All but the pair of daggers are in the finish rack but they are at 180grit so still an bit of sanding to go on  them but it is the end of my working week so will get back to them after I have a rest day.. 

qJtHRlAl.jpg

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

That's worth a bit of gold there, Garry. B)

Thanks Alan. Within a few minutes of posting it on the AH forum it garnered some comments. I mentioned that I had enough of the walnut for another 6 knives in the piece I had and one poster ordered the same pattern with one of the remaining pieces (except in my preferred 1095 for this pattern) so I now have just the 5 pieces left but the wedding gift 4 and the daggers are for people about a 10 hour drive away so I may deliver them and call in to NZ Walnut  who is in the same area http://www.nzwalnut.co.nz/ and get a few more pieces. I have bought about 30 rifle stock blanks from him over the years when I was doing stock making so know I can get some really nice bits from him

Edited by Garry Keown

Every knife needs a sheath so have been cutting and sewing a bit of leather to send this last lot of knives off. Still have to dye the edges and hot wax them but will get to that in the morning, sharpen the blades and they will all be ready to ship. 

ONe74o9l.jpg

YN79jGfl.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/11/2019 at 2:22 PM, Garry Keown said:

Every knife needs a sheath so have been cutting and sewing a bit of leather to send this last lot of knives off. Still have to dye the edges and hot wax them but will get to that in the morning, sharpen the blades and they will all be ready to ship. 

ONe74o9l.jpg

YN79jGfl.jpg

Can we see the finished daggers please 

Posted (edited)

The Daggers are 1095 with walnut on brass with one having red and black and the other blue and black spacers

3ZSBlUTl.jpg

An AH EDC with 1084 and buffalo horn furniture

4E7WEcLl.jpg

a skinner in 1084 with self made black and orange micarta. The orange canvas became red when the epoxy was added.

AHlluGIl.jpg

Light hunter in 1084 with simple accacia woodware.

uNvsGcYl.jpg

A mini skinner in 1084 with buffalo horn and eucalyptus root

EWROj3pl.jpg

This group is for a wedding as gifts to the groomsmen and bridesmaids. The two 5 1/2 inch chefs are 12C27 and one has rimu with the other having acccia with the two boners in 1084 being handled with rimu.

ZvfvDjHl.jpg

Edited by Garry Keown

Another busy week Garry. I like those chef’s and the eucalyptus root looks interesting. Is it much different to work from the tree wood?

1 hour ago, Charles du Preez said:

Another busy week Garry. I like those chef’s and the eucalyptus root looks interesting. Is it much different to work from the tree wood?

No different than other woods that have other than straight grain. Sand fine and buff. finish with my oil mix ( equal parts tung and linseed oil with veg turps and spar varnish) for a few coats, wiping off after 10 to 30 minutes, then wax.

• Like 1