Knife and Boards

Mike Ward

After being a hermit in the shop for almost a week, this is part of I got done. Two cutting boards and a knife for my mom. The end grain board is Peruvian walnut, Palauk, and cherry. The other is black walnut, padauk and maple. Both are 9”x11.75”.  Learned an enormous amount of things and am extremely thankful for an incredibly knowledgeable and resourceful grandfather.

The knife is 80crv2 with Bubinga scales and copper pins. It’s 6.5” long with a 4.5” handle and is modeled after a santoku.

Thanks for looking! (Sorry for the bad photography)

1B300148-86D5-45DB-897B-8F8FB25F7F4B.jpeg

40D01C65-E019-459C-9392-4BCDFF856AC8.jpeg

23592D81-B209-4880-9024-1B2DBB62B80F.jpeg7BD2D78C-9CDA-4D1A-B5D3-504430814E7E.jpeg

4CC542E7-A8C6-4303-AB40-AE096CC2C40F.jpeg

1F9D0F29-8C66-4C4A-9C92-3A16FAB0D6C3.jpeg

• Like 1

Very nice knives! I like the patinas and the handles look very comfortable.

Those are awesome boards as well.

I was always amazed by how much my grandpa knew how to do. I feel a lot of people discount age as bad, but age is a huge resource IMO.

Well done!

Well done Mike, beautiful knives and boards! Funny how everyone's mustard patina look different. The last knife has almost exactly the same choices of materials and finish than my last chef, you got good taste :lol:

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it.

Joel, I have a question on how you do your mustard patina’s. How do you spread it on the knife and how many times do you apply it?

I squirt some on, spread it around and then dab it randomly and leave to dry for .5-1 hr and wash it off. I really like how you’re able to get them to look almost stonewashed and I can’t figure out how you do it. 

37 minutes ago, Mike Ward said:

how you do your mustard patinas.

I first sand to a nice #800 finish and clean with denatured alcohol or brake cleaner. Then, I use coton cosmetic pads on which I squirted some mustard and dab a lot on the blade until I am satisfied by the uniformity. The mustard will etch darker where's it's thinner so for a dark finish, use little mustard. I let dry at least 30 min,  clean in soapy water and repeat once. 

Hope this helps!

IMG_20190310_203831.jpg

IMG_20181204_120845.jpg

Edited by Joël Mercier

It's a pleasure! I honestly just did the patina how I thought I should because everyone I asked basically told me to just dab mustard and that's it :lol:, no details. So that's basically beginner's luck, seem I have plenty of that...

Yeah same here, “just dab it”. I’ve read about people using cotton swabs for it but I haven’t tried it yet. I like what I get when I use my finger to dap, but I really admire what you’ve got going on.