RobertMunford

Camp Knife finally finished

I finally got the knife completed.  It was quite a journey, and required a lot of listening to some very great advise from the folks on here.  The new owner wanted me to get it marked and I finally found someone to laser etch it for me.  If you want to see the story about the journey I placed a short story in "The Way" called The story of a camp knife.  Room for lots of improvement some I can see from looking at other peoples work, and I am sure that there are some I haven't even thought about.  So any comments are greatly appreciated.  There are quite a few more pics in the story in the way.

Picture 1011.jpg

That is one big camp chopper!  You used an interesting pattern of pin placement.

23 hours ago, MikeDT said:

That is one big camp chopper!  You used an interesting pattern of pin placement.

:)  Is that interesting as in looks good and will not hurt the knife or is there some issue with the placement.  If I made a mistake please tell me because I now have 3 more to make with a 4th possible.  Need to know about my mistakes so I do not make them again.

I had them all inline when I marked them.  Went inside for a cup of coffee and when I returned to the shop thought it looked like crap.  Put it up and worked on the grinding jig I was building and the next day experimented with different pin placement.  That seemed like I would hold the wide part of the handle a little better and to my novice eye it was pleasing.  Showed the person that I was making the knife for and he liked it, so there it is.  

Robert, The handle does not go with this style blade. A straight blade should have straight handle. The knife needs to flow together. 

2 hours ago, Raymond Richard said:

Robert, The handle does not go with this style blade. A straight blade should have straight handle. The knife needs to flow together. 

Richard

That is what I thought right up until the customer specifically showed me how he wanted the handle shaped.  Hard to argue with a customer, being as they are always right.  LOL

You are correct it should flow and I was skeptical at first, then once I had it cut out and could hold it, it did feel good in the hand.  I have had several other people hold it swing it and everyone liked the feel.  I have three more to make for sure.  One is a gift and then two more that will be purchased.  One of those purchased is by a gentleman who does a lot of camping and hunting with his brother and he had it in his hand only for about 5 min and said make me one.  The other is for the lady who is going to be doing my laser etching.  

robertmunford

aka Bob

Interesting as in different - not bad.  I see it as a cross pattern, two vertical and two horizontal (pin and lanyard hole).  from the angle of the photo it is hard to tell if they line up perpendicularly to each other and with the blade profile (if that make sense).  I am far from an expert, but to me pins are either aligned down the center of the handle or they run along the edges.  You did a little of both, thus interesting/different/unique, not a criticism.    

Personally, since you went for curves, give it curves like you meant it. I’m with Gary I  liking more continuity of form between blade and handle design, but if you are going to break it up, then go for broke.

I mean that in a good way and constructively. The scales are still very slab like- that’s fine with coffin handles and other handles that have straight lines. You have a center swell, etc going on. SO, give it more three dimensional shaping. The handle currently has just a minor radius to the edges: shape it more. If you were to look down on the top of the handle, spine view, I bet the scales are a consistent thickness, or very close to it, their whole length. Make it flow and look more organic, like a human body. Make it pull in like a waist, flair out like hips, etc. Not only will that give a more finished look, it will potentially lock it into your hand more securely. It most definitely will reduce hot spots when working with it.

The good thing is your customer liked what you made them, and you gave them what was requested. But before you make the rest try giving more shape to the next ones, or at least grab a hunk of wood (could be pine even) and work on sculpting it more.

Best, Steve 

16 hours ago, MikeDT said:

Interesting as in different - not bad.  I see it as a cross pattern, two vertical and two horizontal (pin and lanyard hole).  from the angle of the photo it is hard to tell if they line up perpendicularly to each other and with the blade profile (if that make sense).  I am far from an expert, but to me pins are either aligned down the center of the handle or they run along the edges.  You did a little of both, thus interesting/different/unique, not a criticism.    

Mike I didn't take it as criticism.  I read everything that is said and take it in and some suggestions I use and others I keep for future reference.  :)  I like your idea of pin alignment, both horizontally and vertically and will keep that in mind when I make the next knife.  

Thanks for the suggestions

robertmunford

AKA Bob

10 hours ago, Steve O said:

Personally, since you went for curves, give it curves like you meant it. I’m with Gary I  liking more continuity of form between blade and handle design, but if you are going to break it up, then go for broke.

I mean that in a good way and constructively. The scales are still very slab like- that’s fine with coffin handles and other handles that have straight lines. You have a center swell, etc going on. SO, give it more three dimensional shaping. The handle currently has just a minor radius to the edges: shape it more. If you were to look down on the top of the handle, spine view, I bet the scales are a consistent thickness, or very close to it, their whole length. Make it flow and look more organic, like a human body. Make it pull in like a waist, flair out like hips, etc. Not only will that give a more finished look, it will potentially lock it into your hand more securely. It most definitely will reduce hot spots when working with it.

The good thing is your customer liked what you made them, and you gave them what was requested. But before you make the rest try giving more shape to the next ones, or at least grab a hunk of wood (could be pine even) and work on sculpting it more.

Best, Steve 

Hmmm 

I never thought about doing what you suggested Steve.  I think that maybe just maybe I can make the next knife both robust and manly as well as sexy.  I made a wooden mockup of the blade will try different handles on it and see where I go from there.   I certainly do like the idea of making the handle sexy looking though because as you said it just might make it easier to fit in the hand.

Thanks for the suggestions

robertmunford

AKA Bob