Joshua States

Avoiding the Quench Warp

A 14 minute demonstration of how I avoid the dreaded warp in the quench.

Thanks for posting Joshua. I gotta find some cooper bars now. 

Posted (edited)

quite a bit of 1 1/2 x 5/16 at the local scrap yard but I will need a vice with the vertical swivel to do that but I do have the heavy alloy plates in a vertically mounted carpenters vice for plate quenching my stainless so I wonder it that wouldnt work in a similar fashion..

Edited by Garry Keown

I've had a couple quench warps and they are annoying enough to make me just want to start over from scratch lol.  I'm hoping this blade I'm currently working on doesn't warp when I heat treat it lol.

If you had an area of heat big enough to fit it could you heat and quench your knife between to flat bars bolted to each other so it doesn’t warp?  I haven’t watched the video yet so if that’s what he does then ignore me. :)

Very informative video Josh, thanks for the post....................B)

• Like 1

On 3/10/2019 at 10:43 PM, Garry Keown said:

quite a bit of 1 1/2 x 5/16 at the local scrap yard but I will need a vice with the vertical swivel to do that but I do have the heavy alloy plates in a vertically mounted carpenters vice for plate quenching my stainless so I wonder it that wouldnt work in a similar fashion..

I don't see why that wouldn't work Gary. The concept is the same. Clamp it up while it's still about 200-300* F and it will stay straight.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Joshua States said:

I don't see why that wouldn't work Gary. The concept is the same. Clamp it up while it's still about 200-300* F and it will stay straight.

I have only had one warp (longer blade) on me in over 200 blades so may re HT that one  and do the clamp up in the alloy plates and see how it goes. 

Edited by Garry Keown