Sign in to follow this  
Doug Webster

First Reproduction Tanto

After a  lot of inspiration from Japanese bladesmiths on this forum and other resources, I decided to make my own reproduction of a Tanto.  This was my third and only successful attempt at water quenching.  This knife started as a ferriers rasp, 1095 I believe.  No hamon appeared after quenching.  I also made three dismal failed attempts at a habaki.  Forged a carving knife to make the saya and tsuka.  Still need to complete the fuchi and koiguchi.  

20190310_103814.jpg

hdr_00392_0.jpg

• Like 1

Good first effort; depending on how old your farrier rasp was, it may only have been case hardened low carbon steel, which would not fully harden. Did you test any of it?

Nice knife, I like the slim shape.

What is the handle and sheath made of?

The times I used farriers rasp they through hardened all the way in canola oil, I think water will harden the whole thing as well, I'm not totally convinced the steel usd for these rasps is 1095, but I do know that it makes a fine blade.

Thanks for the feedback.  I first water quenched the tang of the rasp to test the metal before forging. Whatever steel it is, hardened well and had decent grain structure. 

Tsuka and Saya are carved from Yellow Poplar then stained and laquered. This tanto is a practice lesson for my next project which is a katana made from 1075. 

I like how the lacquer has some different reddish color in some spots.

I look forward to seeing the katana :)