Brian Dougherty

Don't weld in tennis shoes

OK, we all know not to do this one, but I'll share my moment of poor judgement to reinforce the point.  I was just welding a handle onto a stack that I was going to forge weld up.  I was wearing some old sneakers, and figured it was too much trouble to change into my boots.

A glob of metal went right through the  top of the shoe:

IMG_20190310_121946941.jpg

Then through the top of my sock:

IMG_20190310_121810822.jpg

Magically it went between my toes, and thorough the bottom of the sock:

IMG_20190310_121821563.jpg

Clean through...

IMG_20190310_121933172.jpg

Fortunately, the bead wasn't any bigger than a piece of bird shot.  It still had enough energy to burn a 1/4" spot on the bottom of my foot.

I’ll be honest I weld in my tennishoes on a regular basis knock on wood I haven’t had any slag hits like that yet.  Just gotta be mindful of where your work piece is and where the slag is falling and wher your feet are.  I’ve been fortunate so far.

I had a hot chunk of welding  slag land inside of my shoe last year  and burn off a chuck of  skin the size of a quarter.  All part of the game.;)

When hot slag gets inside a shoe, it is a contest to see how fast you can get out of your shoes and socks. th3P3SETNA.jpg

I have grabbed the dunk bucket and done just that, dunked the entire shoe foot and all in the bucket!! 

14 minutes ago, C Craft said:

When hot slag gets inside a shoe, it is a contest to see how fast you can get out of your shoes and socks. th3P3SETNA.jpg

I have grabbed the dunk bucket and done just that, dunked the entire shoe foot and all in the bucket!! 

I usually have a 5 gallon bucket of water handy if I need to dunk my foot lol.  But I've had slag burns in places where it really hurts lol. Never weld sitting down either.  

• Like 1

Spent the whole weekend welding and grinding in Crocs.........set my shirt on fire with the grinding, several shaving lodged in my foot, burn wound at the top of my right foot from a hot cut-off that fell in there...

When I forge I wear mine-issue safety boots but the kill my feet, standing around the anvil is fine but I can walk in them for about 30 minutes.....

Sometimes molten flux shoots into the palm of my hand while my hand is closed on my hammer, it kept happening over and over again one forging session.

I caught a roman candle on top of my ear once, it was not nice.