AndrewB

Ricasso Help

Okay, so today I plan on getting the forge out and re forging a new blade.  I did notice on the blade I am currently working on the steel is bent pretty badly.  I think I'm going to take some different steps this time.  How ever I do want to forge a Ricasso in the blade as well but I am not quite sure exactly how to go about that.  If my understanding is correct on this the Ricasso is the little bit just after the tang correct?  Does that sit just barely higher than the tang itself and just below the actual bottom and top of the blade being forged?  i'm not sure exactly how that works but I want to give that a try today when I get the forge going after it warms up a bit.  Thanks in advance.

Andrew,

The ricasso  is the small area between the beveled cutting edge & the tang of the blade.  The length of it will vary depending on the size  of the blade but on mine it is usually 1/2"-5/8" long and approx. 2/3 of the width of the blade at the rear.  Both the ricasso & the hidden tang are forged half on & half off the anvil with the anvil's  edge creating the inside corner.  (the front of the handle should be the same width as the ricasso of  the blade)

I hope this answers your questions.

Okay that makes sense, I'll give that one a go later this morning or afternoon which ever comes first.  I don't know if I'm quite ready to dive into the realm of Bowies but this would be a good first step to learn lol.  Thanks Gary

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndrewB said:

later this morning or afternoon which ever comes first.

Morning normally comes first.

• Haha 3