Im interested in bladesmithing. My friend introduced me into it and I just love it. I know everything I need and can get it, but I don't want to purchase the items until I get some lessons to know what I'm really in for and if I will truly love it. Does anyone know anybody in northern Virginia who can help me? Im looking for experienced people who can help someone who knows next to nothing about it. Ive done a fair bit of research of this and it sounds very appealing to me. 

I know a couple of guys here: http://www.bgop.org.  They are based in Arlington.  There is at least one other guild in northern VA, but without knowing roughly where you are BGOP is my go-to group.  I cannot recommend strongly enough getting in touch with your local blacksmiths guild and attending meetings.  This stuff is hard enough to learn with knowledgeable support, and since there are smiths everywhere (we just keep a low profile), there is no earthly reason to try going it alone unless you're out west somewhere where the nearest guild is six hours away.  This is from a U.S. perspective, of course.  

9 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

BGOP

Is that the Blacksmithing guild of the potomac? 

Thats where I took my class, there are some really cool people in that guild, A few forged in fire contestants too.