Ethan Cheney

Which hammer for me?

Ethan, look up Anvilfire.com and go to there shop, they have everything you need to make your forge.

54 minutes ago, AndrewB said:

You want want is called fire bricks those are cheap I would also recommend getting yourself some refractory cement that can withstand temps of 3000 degrees.  

Can they cool down fast though? I need to move my forge around my garage so I’m wondering if it could cool down in an hour or something like that?

15 hours ago, Ethan Cheney said:

Can they cool down fast though? I need to move my forge around my garage so I’m wondering if it could cool down in an hour or something like that?

Soft fire brick cools down pretty quick, but if it’s built right the whole point of the fire brick is that the heat stays inside the forge and the surface isn’t that hot. 

Totally different concept but this made me think of this video demonstrating the properties of the space shuttle tiles.

Edited by Adam Weller

1 hour ago, Adam Weller said:

Fire brick cools down pretty quick, but if it’s built right the whole point of the fire brick is that the heat stays inside the forge and the surface isn’t that hot. 

Totally different concept but this made me think of this video demonstrating the properties of the space shuttle tiles.

Thank you for letting me know about that! I also loved the video. Thanks for sharing

For the second time, go back and look at the link Jeremy posted for soft fire brick.  They cool off fast.  Hard fire brick stays hot for hours.

23 hours ago, Daniel W said:

If you start building up a propane forge - keep in mind that hard fire bricks retain heat for a very very long time. I fire watch my forge for 4 hours because I still have a few that I use for doors.

The cheap 'fire bricks' that you find localy are not what you want.  The are meant for fire place construction.  Normally yellow or pinkish in color.  They do not insulate - they are a heat sink meaning that they soak up heat and store it like a sponge.  For every one in your forge - it's minutes and fuel wasted getting to forging temps.  Some people like to use them as a forge floor, I do not.  My forge went from 40 mins to heat up to 5 minutes when I took my brick out of the floor. 

You want, soft insulating fire bricks.  Those are light soft white in color and cost a good bit more.  You probably will not find them locally (hence the link).  Those bricks reflect heat. unlike a hard brick they do not store heat.

Edited by Daniel W

1 hour ago, Daniel W said:

The cheap 'fire bricks' that you find localy are not what you want.  The are meant for fire place construction.  Normally yellow or pinkish in color.  They do not insulate - they are a heat sink meaning that they soak up heat and store it like a sponge.  For every one in your forge - it's minutes and fuel wasted getting to forging temps.  Some people like to use them as a forge floor, I do not.  My forge went from 40 mins to heat up to 5 minutes when I took my brick out of the floor. 

You want, soft insulating fire bricks.  Those are light soft white in color and cost a good bit more.  You probably will not find them locally (hence the link).  Those bricks reflect heat. unlike a hard brick they do not store heat.

Do you think you could send me a link of the bricks you recommend?

That is funny, that a $30 hammer is considered expensive; I have spent $300 for a particular hammer. You have to consider that if the tool is purpose built and has a particular rebound, it can make you money. That is why I like the old Champion rounding hammers, the best hammer back when smiths made a living from their work. (Still looking for a 3 pound version of the Champion Maud S rounding hammer.)

Eventually when I can afford it, Im going to buy a rounding hammer from Ethan harty, Ive heard lots of great stuff about his hammers, And I would like to try forging with a rounding hammer instead of a flat faced cross pein.