Geoff Keyes

Help with Kris hilt design

This is a form that has invaded my design head space, if that makes any sense.  Does anyone here have images of Kris (as a generic term) with the hilt parts dismounted?

hilt1.jpg

You can see from this one that the blade and hilt are 2 pieces, held together with a pair of "straps".  Any insight into the notches and such would also be helpful.

Thanks

Geoff

Posted (edited)

Geoff,

Each island has(had) it's own handle design which would vary greatly.  As best I know, the notches were unique to the Empu (priest) who made the knife.  The Empu would fast for a week until he got a vision for your knife and the number of bends &notches that he put in the blade was to determine how it would effect your future (wealth,  power, accomplishment of goals, etc.)  The handle design  was repeated knife after knife.  

Once you received your finished Kris you should put it under your pillow and sleep on it.  If you had good dreams then the knife should be kept as it would bring you good fortune.  Bad dreams and get rid of the knife for it would bring you misfortune.

I've only made one Kris and would have to hunt to see if I still have any photos of it.  (The one that I made was styled after those from the island of Java.)

You'll find  that one of the hardest parts of making a Kris is building a solid wood sheath that the knife will fit tightly into.;)

Edited by Gary Mulkey

I've never seen one with the "straps" like that, but I suspect those are not structural.  Most keris have a very narrow stick tang.  DSC_1934 (2).JPGDSC_1929 (2).JPG "straps"

There is a ton of variation that I'm seeing.  Many of them have a separate steel/iron guard/spacer, some of which seem to be held on by silver/copper/bronze "straps".  There also seems to be a feature which might be a stylized garuda 

139b47a474eb4e6a438db070e8a26bd0.jpg

8a6e9924ef10bb17f25aa84ad3553dff.jpg

79eee636-933d-11e4-897b-f3efa866026c.jpg

163-rz1.jpg

th (2).jpg

Geoff