Sign in to follow this  
Cody Killgore

Anybody mess with Rotary Selector Switches?

Posted (edited)

So I just got a 3rd 2 x 72 grinder. I've got lots of 220 circuits but unfortunately I only put 1 in this certain corner of my shop. I'm also now out of room on my breaker box. I've got 2 grinders and 1 hydraulic press that share this single plug. So, currently, I have to go unplug one and plug another in. This turns into a bit of a hassle if I'm just switching to a different grinder for a different setup.

I didn't have a lot of luck finding a power strip for 220V stuff. They all have 6-20P plugs. That also didn't seem very safe. So this led me to looking at rotary switches. I'm nowhere near electrician status and there's so many different options with these I've been a bit intimidated. Some are $10, others are $300. I'd like to get one for 220V and that would be 30amp (because of my press). Was wondering if anyone had any experience with these. I guess I was a little hesitant to buy the $7 one from China on amazon and run $8k worth of equipment on it.

Maybe there's a better solution I'm not seeing/thinking about?

Edited by Cody Killgore

You could add more outlets on the same circuit.  As long as you are only running one thing at a time, it won't trip the breaker.  

Yeah, I guess the rotary switch seemed like the "best" solution other than wiring in more circuits. But it may be easier to just add outlets and go from there.

Are all your grinders running on dedicated VFD's? What I've seen a lot is using a switch at the output of a single VFD running 3 equipment. If you're not using a VFD, it would make it darn worthwhile. 

Yeah they all have dedicated VFDs. They are all on separate benches and I roll them around a good bit to make room when I'm forging. I think I'll just end up wiring extra outlets and hopefully not melt any wires. The breaker that's on it right now is a bit big. Don't know how hard it is to change a breaker myself but sounds like something for an electrician :D

Breakers are incredibly easy to change, as long as you can kill power to the panel.  But definitely only do what you are comfortable doing.  As long as you are the only one in the shop, more outlets can't hurt you, because you can only use one at a time.