Ethan Cheney

1084 or 1075 Where and why?

Which steel should I start out with first and where would I purchase them? I don’t want to buy some cheap stuff from wherever. I also don’t want to spend a fortune on steel.  Any recommendations are welcome!

3 hours ago, Joël Mercier said:

Get some 80CrV2 from NSJB.

Im assuming that the New Jersey Steel Baron. I did some research and it looks like they got some good steel. Im going to buy from them in the future. Thanks

Yep, Aldo Bruno, the New Jersey Steel Baron himself, a great supporter of our community.  A quick breakdown of the steels mentioned:

1084: relatively easy to forge, dead nuts simple to heat treat.  Cannot be used for hamon.  Well, you can get a line, but not the activity of a true hamon.  My go-to steel for everything from axe edges to swords. Oil quench only.

80CrV2:  A little tougher to forge because of the chrome, even simpler to heat treat than 1084, because you have a longer window to quench.  The vanadium makes it easy to maintain good small grain size.  The only reason I haven't added it to my steel selection is that I have a lot of 1084 and 5160.  Oil quench only.

1075: easy to forge, a little pickier with heat treatment.  Aldo's 1075 is formulated with very low manganese specifically to produce vibrant hamon.  Admiral Steel's 1075 is high in manganese and will not make a good hamon.  Aldo's needs a fast quench to achieve full hardness, can be water quenched if you're brave.  Admiral's is oil quench only.

Also consider 5160 purchased as new stock from a local automotive spring manufacturer.  This will likely be your best bet for cheapest material and a pretty good one.