Gary Mulkey

Designing My Next

It's always a challenge to come up with a new design for a project.  For my next I'm going to borrow from my late friend, Alex Daniels.  I'm sure that I  will add some of my own touches to Alex's design such as a mosaic damascus blade and possibly a pommel wrap. 

This is going to be my basic inspiration:

alex daniels_opt

Posted (edited)

damn very nice work.  cant wait to see yours and how it turns out.  what about a jelly roll damascus blade and a jelly roll pommel?

Edited by AndrewB

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, AndrewB said:

damn very nice work.  cant wait to see yours and how it turns out.  what about a jelly roll damascus blade and a jelly roll pommel?

Jelly rolls are almost a pattern of the past.  Salem Straub is the only one that I can think of  who  has done one in quite a while.  It's probably been 8-10 years since I've made a jelly roll.  That's a thought though.

Edited by Gary Mulkey

Feather Damascus then maybe?  That would look really nice or even fishbone?

21 minutes ago, AndrewB said:

Feather Damascus then maybe?  That would look really nice or even fishbone?

I would love to make a feather one day.  It will require that I make some special dies for my Uncle Al press before I can though.  As is, my press doesn't open wide enough for feather dies.  Ron Newton showed me one time how to  overcome this.  I just haven't taken  the time to build the custom dies for it.

I'm thinking about maybe taking Andrew's idea of a jelly roll and going one step further and doing a jelly roll out of a multi bar "W" pattern billet and then stacking it 4 x 4 with every other piece rotated.  I need to ruminate on it for a while though.;)

• Like 2

This will be another awesome one. I really like the coffin style handle. And I would love to see your version of the jelly roll on a blade like this!!!

• Thanks 1

That would be interesting.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Gary Mulkey said:

doing a jelly roll out of a multi bar "W" pattern billet and then stacking it 4 x 4 with every other piece rotated

Wow 

• Thanks 1

Wait, the "late" Alex Daniels?  :o  When did this happen?  I knew he was in poor health last summer, but not that he'd gone on.  :(  He was quite possibly the best reproducer of historic bowies I knew, even if he did prefer stainless.  The last few hammerins at Bowie's I loved how he'd roll up in a brand new purple hemi Challenger R/T.  He taught me a lot about everything, but especially soldering fittings like that. 

Sorry for the digression, Gary.  That will be a worthy project.  

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

Wait, the "late" Alex Daniels?  :o  When did this happen?  I knew he was in poor health last summer, but not that he'd gone on.  :(  He was quite possibly the best reproducer of historic bowies I knew, even if he did prefer stainless.  The last few hammerins at Bowie's I loved how he'd roll up in a brand new purple hemi Challenger R/T.  He taught me a lot about everything, but especially soldering fittings like that. 

Sorry for the digression, Gary.  That will be a worthy project.  

Alex passed away last June.  I agree he was the best.  [For me it was Jim Batson who  taught me to solder.]

Edited by Gary Mulkey

We had perfect weather here today and I got in a good day's work of the forge making steel.  I decided to go with the idea of doing a jelly roll of a "W" pattern just to see how it turns out.

The initial stacks:

IMG_4055_opt

The "W" welded:

IMG_4058_opt

Drawn out in preparation for the jelly roll:

IMG_4061_opt

Quartered to be easier to handle while doing the jelly roll.  I also beveled one edge for the inside of the jelly roll just to  make it easier.

IMG_4065_opt

I managed to get two of the four pieces forged into a jelly roll & welded before finishing for  the day.  As you can see I then forged them square in preparation for a 4-way weld:

IMG_4067_opt

Darn @AndrewB, must feel good your idea actually got picked and it's being done by master Mulkey :lol: I am really curious how you are going to design the bowie around that pattern. This is going to be interesting for sure!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Joël Mercier said:

Darn @AndrewB, must feel good your idea actually got picked and it's being done by master Mulkey :lol: I am really curious how you are going to design the bowie around that pattern. This is going to be interesting for sure!

Thanks, Joel.  I think that in order to get this pattern to fit the blade shape that once cut that I'll probably etch the tiles of this pattern before I place them in a canoe so that I can arrange the pattern to match the blade.  We'll see.  That's still a good way off.;)

Edited by Gary Mulkey

Lots of tiny jelly rolls.:)  Since the jelly rolls are made from a "W" pattern there isn't the normal spiral that you would  expect with a jelly roll as the layers are going the opposite direction.  It should make for a very interesting pattern.

IMG_4073_opt

IMG_4079_opt

• Like 1

Oh wow Im excited to see how this pattern turns out! 

• Thanks 1

For whatever reason, this mosaic seemed to fight me from the start.  I ended up making and welding it in three different canoes before I finally got what I thought were good welds on all of the tiles.  Once I ground off the scale there were no visible weld lines so I thought that I was finally home free.  However, while smithing a blade from the billet two of the welds decided to release.  At this point there was no fixing it as the flaws were such as there wasn't enough good steel for the blade so I was forced to go another direction.

So now this project is going to  have a mono-steel blade of W1.  This will match Alex's original better so I'm not totally bummed but it's always a drag to waste three days of forge work.

IMG_4109_opt

IMG_4111_opt

8 minutes ago, Joël Mercier said:

W1 with hamon?

I'm not sure but I think that I'll do this one without hamon just to look more traditional.

Bummer about the tiles, however the popcorn and a soda is out for watching this one.....................:D

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Joël Mercier said:

Alright, and sorry to hear about the bad welds :(

That is to say, I probably won't etch the blade to show the hamon.  I've never had a piece of "W" series H/T without a hamon of sorts.  It just won't happen.  I've tried and can't do it.;)