Sign in to follow this  
Conner Michaux

First knife finally finished

ferric wont be here for a few more days so I wont be able to copperwash it till later this week, So Im gonna go ahead and post the finished knife.

O1 tool steel 5/32 thick at the spine, single bevel, walnut scales with a little bit of boiled linseed oil. its 4 3/4 long, the blade from the choil is 2 3/4 long. it got a little bit of patina on it because I forgot to clean it off after cutting an orange. 

Its an ugly knife I know, but Gent's, It will cut... I don't think it will keel though :lol:

Feel free to brutally critique,  the heck out of it.  

IMG_2529.jpeg

IMG_2525.jpeg

IMG_2526.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Thanks for all the help on this one guys, I know I ask the same questions over and over again, and its probably annoying to answer my hundreds of questions. So thanks all!

Please give me an honest opinion of this knife.

Edited by Conner Michaux

Actually I quite like it Connor. The scratches on the blade are a bit prominent for my liking and I prefer the choil on the plunge line but pretty good overall. The shape kinda reminds me of a bird’s head and beak in a way.

Not bad at all.

Good for the first! I like goofy little knives for some reason... probably wouldn’t be comfortable for long term use, but something tells me that wasn’t the plan. 

I agree with Charles, the choil should be at the plunge line.

Also if your going to copper wash it wouldn’t that happen before the handle?

Thanks guys! 

4 minutes ago, Adam Weller said:

Also if your going to copper wash it wouldn’t that happen before the handle?

Yeah that would have been a good idea, but i though of the copper wash after I glued the scales on... 

A little rough, but considering where you started and how you got here, not bad at all!  If I were you I'd make another one and try the copper wash on it.  And remember, once you've put copper in the ferric that's all you can use it for.  

Its better looking then my first knife.... 

And at least you didnt make it out of a rail road spike... 

I would consider it a success for your first attempt, Now the goal is take everything you learned and make your second one better. 

Solid first attempt - as others have said, take what you learned and make the next one better.

I agree with what the others have said.  It's a solid first attempt.

I like the design concept.  It could use a second pin, but you may be on to something with a little edc knife of that shape.

The fit and finish will improve with time as long as you push yourself to make some aspect better with each knife.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the input guys, Im sure my second knife will look a lot better, Im going to make the scales thinner next time o it doesn't look so bulky, and im going to sand it a lot more so the scratches aren't so visible. 

Edited by Conner Michaux

Remember: sand at 90 degrees (or at least a noticeably different angle) from the previous grit until no scratch marks from the previous grit are visible. Only then change to a finer grit (again at a different angle from what you have just done). Rinse, repeat as necessary until you get the desired level of satin or shine. If there is a scratch you just can’t shift, consider backing up a level.

Oh I havn't been doing that..Ill make sure to for now on.

Good first try kid !!

Keep after it and you will see how much better you get at each one after............B)

• Thanks 1

I like the shape of it. Pretty good for a first

• Thanks 1

Looking good man! Like everyone else said; it needs refinement. But, you shoulda seen my first "knife" that I made maybe around 15-16 or so :lol: Trust me, at your age and tools, you've done very well here! Looking forward to seeing the next!

Thanks Zeb! 

When I got into making stuff I was 16.  When I finally took a class I was 28. When I got serious about building longrifles when I was 30, I was told that you pretty much have to be 30 before you have the patience to finish stuff all the way out like it needs to be. Now that I am three weeks from 49 I'm almost there. :lol:

Don't worry, the next will be cleaner, and things will snowball from there.  Provided, of course, that you aren't willing to settle for "good enough" over "the best I can do at this point in my development."  I still get a little better with each one.  And I still don't think I'm that good at it.;)

When I saw Alan talking about the age I clicked your profile to realize you were born in 2005! I am seriously impressed by what you achieved. With a little more patience and some hand sanding you'll make some clean work in no time I'm sure.

Cool looking little knife Conner!

Thanks Joël! I really appreciate it :D

I started my second yesterday, I’m not

going to post a wip for that one because I don’t have nearly as many questions... I would be lost without this forum