Fillet Knives

I haven't made a fillet knife yet...thinking about starting one using some 80crv2 or 440C stainless steel

Any special tips or tricks for working thinner blade steel to prevent warping....I am currently thinking I need to sandwich the blade between aluminum bars after quenching but I may be off base

Thanks for any info you can provide

• 2 months later...

thanks for all the input everyone...so I took Alan's information and simply profiled the blade the way I wanted it to look...then I set up a pair of 1/2" thick aluminum blocks in my vice to act as heat sinks coming out of the quench.   Worked beautifully perfectly straight blade.  2 tempering cycles at 400 in my little oven an voila my first fillet knife.  then I set about stabilizing some maple burl and combined the end result with some apple green casting resin....carbon fiber pins and epoxy holding the scales to the handle.  I still have to finish sanding and forming the handle along with making a suitable leather sheath but so far this fillet knife is looking like a success story

Fillet knife-001.jpg

fillet knife-002.jpg

fillet knife-003.jpg

• Like 1

after making around a few dozen of these my answer is to quench into plates. and then in a batch of 10 ill still have 1 or 2 with a tiny wiggle in it. The trick is to get comfortable straightening blades. And HT from bar stock as mentioned above. Ive found when grinding any knife now, i love to spend as much time needed in all steps of the knife making to make sure before a grinder touches anything that its straight straight straight. Then use a height gauge to scribe center lines to avoid tension warps which can be had with a very minute amount of material left in the wrong place.

4 hours ago, Gabriel James said:

after making around a few dozen of these my answer is to quench into plates. and then in a batch of 10 ill still have 1 or 2 with a tiny wiggle in it. The trick is to get comfortable straightening blades. And HT from bar stock as mentioned above. Ive found when grinding any knife now, i love to spend as much time needed in all steps of the knife making to make sure before a grinder touches anything that its straight straight straight. Then use a height gauge to scribe center lines to avoid tension warps which can be had with a very minute amount of material left in the wrong place.

The biggest thing for me with this build was getting out of my comfort zone and working with material way thinner than I normally use....at 1/16" thick material I had this vision of a spaghetti noodle blade.  Getting thru the learning curve on the first fillet knife I am much more comfortable moving forward and replicating this same process all over again.  Now I just need to get it finished and see how well it does in use as an actual fillet knife....I see fishing in my future too...